SEARCH
MORE
Recipies & Cooking

venison summer sausage and hot sticks question

12/2/15 @ 9:00 PM
INITIAL POST
berman02
User since 8/11/03
I am looking at making some summer sausage and hot sticks within the next few weeks. My question is I have a 3 gallon bucket of pork fat from a fresh hog and I am wondering if I can add it to the mixture of ground venison to act as a binding agent for both of these or if I need to add something different to bond them together?
Displaying 21 to 26 of 26 posts
12/16/15 @ 11:18 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
Made a batch of summer for a friend, used 9 lbs duck and goose, 6 lbs of venison and 10 lbs of pork butt roast with PS brand plain summer sausage seasoning mix. While the smoker was set up I also ran a batch of salmon just in time for Christmas.
12/9/15 @ 7:44 PM
Bazinga
User since 8/22/10
I've made about 200lbs of goose summer sausage. I use 15lbs goose meat to 10lbs 72% pork trim. All has turned out excellent. I like the taste of it much better than venison summer sausage.
12/8/15 @ 5:48 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
When making venison summer sausage I use 1/3 pork and 2/3 venison. The ground pork I use is usually a butt roast deboned and using all the fat. This still is on the lean side compared to some summer I have sampled. On a side note I am going to help a friend make some summer using duck and goose meat. I do plan on adding about 10% more pork than usual. Anyone ever tried using duck or goose meat? Have had jerky made from it and it was a bit dry and chewy. The jerky was ground meat and made in a dehydrator.
12/3/15 @ 9:15 AM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15
I mix with pork as well. Usually what Evers the cheapest. Do use alot of pork belly.
12/3/15 @ 6:35 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
Nothing better than pork back fat in my opinion. We vac seal ours in 1 pound chunks for making sausage. I know people use beef fat as well, but I have always been a pork fat guy. Just make sure to keep it very cold when mak8ng the sausage. I grind it, mix it immediately and them throw the mix in the freezer a bit to firm up the fat. The heat from your hands will start to melt the fat.
Displaying 21 to 26 of 26 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE