Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Salsa Recipe

9/19/14 @ 9:08 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Thiel66
User since 1/9/14
I would like to make my own CANNED salsa from the tomatoes I planted this year, but I do not have a good recipe. I was wondering if anyone had a good CANNED salsa recipe that I could try. I would prefer something that is thick and spicy.

Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/30/14 @ 2:37 PM
FGH
FGH
User since 6/24/10
The key to getting thick salsa is to peel & seed the tomatoes and hand squeeze the moisture out. This is a must! Then I rough chop them in the Cuisenart.

6 lbs tomatoes 1 red onion finely chopped 1 white onion finely chopped 1 yellow onion finely chopped 3 green peppers finely choped 5 jalapenos chooped (or other hotter peppers) 3 6oz cans of tomato paste Salt & pepper to taste

Simmer it all for three hours uncovered (further cooks out moisture). Then can in hot water bath for 15 minutes.

GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!!!

9/28/14 @ 10:23 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
For thickness use a paste/roma tomato that has more meat and less juice and seeds. The tomatoes we grow have almost no seeds/slime when sliced and what is there we scoop out with a spoon. We roast or smoke all of the ingredients that we use. Makes peeling very easy and adds a great flavor. This dries them out considerably, but requires a lot more tomatoes. When smoking everything we will smoke a lot of jalapeƱos and then dry them in the dehydrator to have chipotles on hand all year.

9/26/14 @ 12:58 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
There is no real recipe for this. I look at it like an end of the season run. If I lack something I'll get it at a farm stand. Tomato, peppers (various heat), onion, corn, garlic, whatever you want. I freeze and can, prefer to freeze because it's easier.

9/25/14 @ 3:34 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02
Makes approx.7 pints. The more you simmer the less it makes.20 tomatoes skinned and cored I usually use 25 or more. 4-5 hot peppers 2 large onions 7-8 green peppers chopped 2T canning salt 2T lemon juice 2T white vinager 1/2t garlic salt 2T sugar 1t paprika 2 small cans tomatoe paste simmer for 3-4 hours depending how thick you want it. Leave cover on for couple hours then take it off. Anyone that ever tried it really liked it.

9/24/14 @ 9:17 AM
Kutt
Kutt
User since 6/30/09
Here is my Salsa: I don't reinvent the wheel here. For seasoning I use Mrs. Wages. I add tomato paste, peppers, vinegar, onions, brown sugar. If you want measurements, let me know. I peel and cut the tomatoes in big pieces, then push them around a strainer to get out as much juice as possible.

9/24/14 @ 1:27 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
I'm with casting. The hardest part is getting it thick. I freeze mine, when it thaws a lot of the clear liquid runs off, get rid of that.

After a batch or two you should have it figured out.

9/21/14 @ 10:58 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
look at this one

http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes/zesty-salsa

its hard to mess up salsa, my wife makes and cans ours and adds stuff like corn or black beans. She ad-libs alot and it never turns out bad.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.