MORE
Recipies & Cooking

deer ribs

10/1/17 @ 7:54 PM
INITIAL POST
broz.
broz.
User since 6/22/01

How do you guys do your deer ribs , smoke , grill ,? I have never tryed them and heard some like them. Please help me with a recipe I would love to try them. Thank you , stay on top broz

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
11/22/17 @ 4:28 AM
TimDenvers
User since 11/16/17

"I prefer a buck after rut, as less fat on them. As was mentioned, fat will get waxy. Parboil first and then grill and brown them, always eat hot. I had some ribs from my dad's bear last month. Now those are ribs worth fighting over!!!!!......"   

I'll be keeping this in mind. :)

10/12/17 @ 12:22 PM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

Wthout proper preperation when you go to eat them the roof of your mouth will glaze over with tallow. It still may a little bit even if done correctly. What you dont eat hot throw away

10/11/17 @ 6:00 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

I prefer a buck after rut, as less fat on them.  As was mentioned,  fat will get waxy.  Parboil first and then grill and brown them, always eat hot.  I had some ribs from my dad's bear last month.  Now those are ribs worth fighting over!!!!!......   

10/9/17 @ 8:46 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

They are a labor of love,The key is to trim as much the tallowoff as possible Great on the grill watch for flare ups as tallow is very combustable. I do one set a year. I like to boil them after you trim them as close as you can to melt out the remainder of the tallow. Eat hot.

10/5/17 @ 8:59 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

I cut them into pieces 2 to 3 rib 6" to 8" long and simmer with onion, garlic and celery for 45 min to melt away most of the tallow then grill to brown sauce or rub your choice. (these are good cooked on a grill when you are ice fishing)

10/2/17 @ 5:07 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

The only thing I forgot to mention was that the fat can get gummy, thats why a lot of people dont mess with them. try to keep them out of the liquid and when you are done make sure to drain the fat off. just throw the liquid away .Its worth doing when you can collect a bunch of them from your camp. I have done a lot of elk ribs this way too. Since the meat is dry, this method keeps the moisture in and doesnt dry them out.

10/2/17 @ 8:54 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Bro in Law made them a couple years ago.  He did the crock pot and just hit them with a little rub for flavor.  He too kept them out of the liquid in the pot.  He finished them on the smoker just to add the smoke flavor.

I'd be careful going all in on doing them on a smoker.  I could see how they would turn into jerky.  They don't have the fat that pork or even beef ribs have.

10/2/17 @ 7:52 AM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Caribbean Ribs 2 tbl dry minced onion 1tsp ground mustard 1 tsp crushed red pepper 1/2 tsp allspice 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp garlic powder not salt mix these and rub all over. Put them in the fridge overnight. cut the ribs into threes or fours, layer in cut up onions ribs onions ribs into a crock pot or pressure cooker, and add about an inch of water . put the onions on the bottom first to keep the ribs up out of the water at first. you can try to cold smoke them also before starting to cook this works good also with necks. Crock pot 7-8 hours. Pressure cook one hour. Another rub mix: 2 tbl paprika 1 tbl garlic powder 1 tbl chili powder 1/2 tbl thyme 1/2 tbl oregano 1/2 tbl cumin 1/2 tbl black pepper 1/2 tbl onion powder 1/2 tbl cayenne pepper

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE