SEARCH
MORE
Recipies & Cooking

What to do with Whitefish??

1/30/17 @ 7:11 PM
INITIAL POST
tunes
PRO MEMBER User since 5/25/08

Don't know much about Whitefish. I have heard from several folks that they do not freeze well.

Any truth to that?? I hear they are good smoked, pickled and baked.

What's your favorite way to cook / preserve them??

Displaying 1 to 15 of 38 posts
3/25/22 @ 3:35 PM
duckeyes
User since 12/17/08

Whitefish are very good eating many ways. I smoke them, with skin and scales on, my wife makes a fish boil, which is awesome! They can also be broiled or breaded and fried. 

3/24/22 @ 6:31 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20

Catch and release.

3/24/22 @ 5:32 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

I caught Mountain Whitefish out in Utah.  Those had a lot of bones like a redhorse.They did not freeze well. So I smoked them. I just smoked four of them fresh from Whitefish lake near me. Some one gave them to me. When I cleaned them they looked like they would be great broiled with butter. Wish I could get some more to try it cooked. I dont quite know how to catch them. There did not seem to be any y bones just a few pin bones. Had whitefish livers up in Bayfield at the Pier Plaza, that was really good.

3/23/22 @ 4:16 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Ciscoes are sometimes called (smoked) chubs in Wisconsin. Lake whitefish can grow as big as 26 pounds. Both have adipose fins and belong in the trout family. Ciscoes normally weigh less than 2 pounds. Both are good eating. I mentioned earlier how deep fried fillets of de-boned, fresh whitefish are the best. The pic shows a small cisco from a lake in Canada. It's all too human to put hate on a fish for some reason or no reason. My Minnesota in-laws hated perch, letting them bake in the bottom of the boat, because they would steal crawlers while walleye fishing. Almost forgot...baked wild turkey is best when you use those plastic baking bags. They are moist cooked and bagged meat takes less time to cook.

What to do with Whitefish?? photo by JamesD
3/23/22 @ 11:08 AM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09

not a nub. madforlabs. But I will admit I aint a very good cook. But I never had wild turkey that was any good and I had it quite a bit made different ways. And as far as the white fish well you guys keep catching them. Thats more perch for me.

3/23/22 @ 7:06 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

I love it fried great taste and texture.  

3/23/22 @ 6:52 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Evidence of a nube who can't cook!

3/23/22 @ 6:38 AM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09

dig a hole and bury them right beside the wild turkey.

3/22/22 @ 2:35 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

Smoked whitefish is amazing

3/21/22 @ 9:33 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Axel I've never had a cisco before but from what I've heard about them they are only good smoked because they are a very oily fish.  Whitefish is a bit oily too but not nearly as much as a cisco.  Also I believe the whitefish is a member of the trout family, a cisco is not.

3/20/22 @ 9:46 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme

Caught 3 whitefish last Wednesday. Two fish went for pickling the bone parts and fried up the boneless parts. One went to the smoker. First time smoking fish. Looks pretty good!

What to do with Whitefish?? photo by Fishlovme
4/29/21 @ 1:26 PM
CedarFalls
User since 12/15/19

Try canning them.  I pressure can most of what I catch in pint jars, 1/2 tsp salt, 110 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.  Turns out like tuna only better.  Fix the same way you would make tuna fish sandwiches.

4/29/21 @ 9:44 AM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

If you are going to freeze whitefish, do it with the skin/scales on. I’ve noticed that really helps the preservation. 

Take the strip of pin bones out, and save it for pickling. The rest of the fillet will be firm and snow-white. Better than walleye, in my opinion. 

4/28/21 @ 3:44 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20

At the restaurant we placed Lawrys season salt, paprika and melted butter over them. Put in the broiler till done. On friday it was huge deal. We had walleye , trout and salmon. For some reason whitefish were the best seller except Friday the walleye was a better deal. 

4/26/21 @ 10:55 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme

Also, I have tried freezing them and they don't freeze that well.  The flesh gets real soft after they're froze and thawed.  This is also why you should NEVER let them freeze on the ice!

Mystery Fish N Sea, you beat me to it showing your video!  If I liked onions I'd try that recipe, but unfortunately I don't like onions! :-)

Displaying 1 to 15 of 38 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE