LOGIN
Lake-Link

What have you smoked lately? Q-view...

12/3/12 @ 11:05 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Gator43
Gator43
User since 8/1/01
Just before Thanksgiving, wanted to smoke some snacks to take to my Mom's....did a Spiral ham, couple pound of mixed nuts, and I usually throw on some red taters just because. I rub a little EVOO on the taters, some seasoning, and pull them out when the main course is done. Sometimes they're not cooked all the way through, but can always be finished off when you decide how you want to cook them. I either chop and fry up, or finish off as a baked tater...red taters cook quicker... Good stuff.

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 228 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/28/18 @ 8:40 PM
Lastcastmaybeknot
User since 4/20/16

That's a nice looking rack she has there

11/27/18 @ 11:48 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Helped a friend process the deer she got. 

11/24/18 @ 9:35 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Took advantage of the mild temps and crossed off a couple of packages outta the freezer off the list.  One brisket for sammies and one pork shoulder roast for pulled pork.  Probably my last smoke until spring. 

11/23/18 @ 8:08 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

12Pack-  At least you were able to salvage some of the brisket.. Our closest Costco is also a 30 minute drive but it is worth to me just to get access to their meat dept. We make it over there 1-2 times a month and the prime brisket was still running $3.49lb on my last visit..

Have to agree that you probably just got a bad cut of meat. Can't say it would never happen with a prime grade but I have never heard anyone having a bad experience with the prime briskets.

11/23/18 @ 5:59 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Another comment....I whipped up a homemade BBQ sauce this afternoon to douse the crappy portions in.  Mix the tough brisket chunks and BBQ sauce, nuke in the microwave, it becomes edible.

11/23/18 @ 10:14 AM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Kona77,

The very first brisket I smoked was a Select, and it was the best I've produced to date (approximately 10 or 12).  

Choice was the grade of this one.  I have yet to see a Prime grade brisket in the Janesville area Sam's clubs or butcher shops, although I do not go there more than once every few months, and I refuse to pay more than $6/lb for brisket.  Closest Costco is Sun Prairie about 30 miles away.

The select I made that turned out so well, I separated the point and flat for the initial smoke, and wrapped them separately from each other, and removed each piece when it was done.  This time I did the whole thing, because that's what everyone says is so great.  I will certainly go back to doing them separately....this flat from yesterday is almost inedible...dogs will be getting much of it.

I gotta blame it on the meat....I followed every step carefully like always in the past, and always some with meat and air temp digital thermometers.  Has never failed before.  First-world problem, for sure.

11/23/18 @ 8:53 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

12Pack-  Bummer on your brisket smoke. I have only done 4-5 briskets but am always nervous on how they will turn out due to their cost.. Just curious if the grade of the meat made a difference??  Most of my briskets were the Costco/prime cuts and they have all turned out great. Did have to buy one "choice" cut when Costco was having an issue sourcing "prime" grade. I did end up putting the choice cut in a 24 hour brine and this one also turned out well.

I do have a "choice" cut still in the freezer and will be smoking it over the Xmas holiday. Will also plan on brining this brisket before smoking and keeping my fingers crossed.

Best of luck on your next brisket.

11/22/18 @ 8:36 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

First brisket failure today!  $70 worth of packer brisket, smoked just like I always do at same temps, wrapped it at 160, pulled it at 203.  Flat was so dry the striated muscles were pulling apart from each other when it time to slice.

Point had some edible portions....what a disappointment, and a big waste of money.

At least the turkey was edible...

11/19/18 @ 7:10 PM
fishiz2
fishiz2
User since 7/1/03

Mmmmmmm, salmon.

11/16/18 @ 5:25 AM
broz.
broz.
User since 6/22/01

Getting the venison roast ready to smoke for the chili for deer hunting

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 228 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.