LOGIN
Lake-Link

What have you smoked lately? Q-view...

12/3/12 @ 10:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gator43
Gator43
USER SINCE 8/1/01
Just before Thanksgiving, wanted to smoke some snacks to take to my Mom's....did a Spiral ham, couple pound of mixed nuts, and I usually throw on some red taters just because. I rub a little EVOO on the taters, some seasoning, and pull them out when the main course is done. Sometimes they're not cooked all the way through, but can always be finished off when you decide how you want to cook them. I either chop and fry up, or finish off as a baked tater...red taters cook quicker... Good stuff.

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 263 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

12/21/20 @ 11:37 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER SINCE 7/17/09

Hi Kona,   Thanks for the guidance on the Turkey breast. Sounds well-worth trying this week.

Happy Holidays!

12/21/20 @ 10:56 AM
kona77
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Fowler-

I start all my chicken/turkey smokes with a brine process. Simple 1cup of Brown Sugar and salt in a gallon of water (12-24 hours).. I then apply a rub (your choice) to the bird. Smoke at 275 until the meat temp is 165.. My smoker usually takes 30 minutes per pound so a normal 8-9lb turkey breast is about 4 hours.. The only downside to smoking poultry (at least for me) is I like the normal "burnt' skin you get with an oven or over charcoal/grille.. With my Electric Smoker the skin is a bit "chewy" and I usually discard.  The meat however is always so juicy. Even more so than with my "Chicken- Butt" grille process which I also like to use. 

Also I use cherry wood with poultry.. Good luck

Will be smoking a prime rib on Thursday for our Christmas Eve meal. Another favorite

12/20/20 @ 5:34 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER SINCE 7/17/09

Kona, if you don't mind me inquiring , whats your recommended temp, time, and wood on that turkey breast?  Looks awesome

Looking to lay one in the smoker at the end of the week.

Thanks! 

12/20/20 @ 10:13 AM
kona77
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Smoked another turkey breast yesterday. These always turn out great and are really moist. I am currently making soup/stock with the carcass/bones. My mom/grandmother would be happy!!  The stock always retains the smoke flavor and is great to use in other meals..  

10/24/20 @ 7:19 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
USER SINCE 7/24/20

Goose and chops. 

10/1/20 @ 8:33 AM
kona77
USER SINCE 6/20/13

BB-  Great way to use the Lake Trout out of Lake Michigan.. Looks like some tasty snacks/meals

9/30/20 @ 11:10 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Smoked about 20 pounds of lake trout we caught a week ago on Lake Michigan. Dry brined overnight in salt and brown sugar.  225 degrees for about three hours.  Hickory and pecan. Came out great!

9/27/20 @ 5:44 PM
kona77
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Smoked a 17lb prime/packer today (bought at Costco). Have always smoked at 225 but finish times have been all over the place (14-22hours).. Have seen a number of guys on another site smoke at higher temps (250-275) so I tried 265 today. Took 7.5 hours to hit 197 on the point and 195 on the flat. Turned out great. Flat was nice and tender and the point was outstanding.. Will definitely try another higher temp smoke on my next brisket.

9/25/20 @ 12:23 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
USER SINCE 7/24/20

Gonna do some stuffed peppers and zucchini with the chicken and brisket. 

9/24/20 @ 6:41 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
USER SINCE 7/24/20

Baby brisket setting up. 

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 263 POSTS
Advertise here
An ice rod built as tough as the frozen winter landscape of the ice belt. A new platform for St. Croix, the Tundra series is a culmination of ice centric features demanded by hardwater anglers. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Tundra Ice Rods
Whether you’re looking to plan your next fishing trip, or just make the most of your time on the water, the Humminbird FishSmart app can help. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird FishSmart App
The head, body and goose-feather accents of each jig are entirely purple and enhanced with Ultra Glow technology, which holds a charge for as many as 15 minutes. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: VMC - NEW Glow Purple Tungsten Fly and Bullfly Jigs
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.