LOGIN
Lake-Link

What have you smoked lately? Q-view...

12/3/12 @ 11:05 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Gator43
Gator43
User since 8/1/01
Just before Thanksgiving, wanted to smoke some snacks to take to my Mom's....did a Spiral ham, couple pound of mixed nuts, and I usually throw on some red taters just because. I rub a little EVOO on the taters, some seasoning, and pull them out when the main course is done. Sometimes they're not cooked all the way through, but can always be finished off when you decide how you want to cook them. I either chop and fry up, or finish off as a baked tater...red taters cook quicker... Good stuff.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 228 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/7/19 @ 12:18 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

12Pack- I tried a chuck roast last summer.. Followed my normal brisket process with an additional foil wrap once the meat hit 150 (smoked at 225).. I let the meat hit 195 and tried to slice after a 1-2 hour rest .. I found the meat to be "too chewy" so I put in the crock pot for 6-7 hours and ended up making pulled beef sandwiches. Turned out delicious.. I know the chuck is from the shoulder area and it does not have to overall fat content as a full packer brisket.. Also the grain seemed to run in 3-4 directions so it was tougher to slice.. Would do the pulled beef process again..

I had a buddy who made burnt ends from a chuck roast and those were great tasting little pieces of beef candy!!! May try that down the road. 

4/7/19 @ 9:10 AM
Walleyes4u
Walleyes4u
User since 4/4/19

Catfish from the fox in kenosha and then some browns from ktown harbor

4/6/19 @ 8:49 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Smoked a chuck roast (3.5lbs) on the Masterbuilt.  Smoked at 225F from 7am-2pm(ish), then wrapped in foil, increased temp to 275F, pulled from smoker and put in cambrio for 1 hour.  Wrapped the roast at 154F until it got to 180F then put in the cambrio.

Used a rub applied yesterday (salt, pepper, cayenne, oregano, chili powder)...

Was pretty damn good.  Not quite as good as a brisket, but in 1/2 the time and 1/2 the price, seemed like a good thing to try.

Anyone else smoke chuck roasts?

2/27/19 @ 5:59 PM
hoofhearted25
User since 1/4/10

Whitefish fillets. I took the pin bones out, and skinned them. brinned them longer because the weather kept blowing the flame out.

Spread them on the racks on parchment paper. 2 hours on low with heavy smoke. 3 hours higher.

Let them cool, pealed of with spatula.

GREAT!! I will try this other fish.

Smoke on'!!!!!! 

No food pix.

2/27/19 @ 5:25 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Actually, I think I will leave the butts "un-pulled" from now on.  They are very easy to pull when cold, they hold moisture better, and it's easier to separate out the large chunks of fat, unless you like to eat that sort of thing...

Keep in mind, when I smoke a butt, it's just me and the wife, so we never have to prep a lot of food for any one sitting....(that's relative...this last 10-ish pound butt is so good it will be gone after 3 meals for me and 2 for the wife...)

2/26/19 @ 11:19 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

12Pack- I always shred the whole pork butt when I take them off the smoker and have never tried to keep them whole like a brisket.. Interesting question.. I do like my shredded pork butt leftovers and they are easy meals to make.

Curing my first pork belly right now and hope to smoke it on Sunday. Will give an update next week on the "bacon" thread.. 

2/26/19 @ 6:59 AM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Smoked a prime butt over the weekend, turned out fantastic (especially since the wife got it for $11....prime 10 pounder).

I did not pull the whole thing, I forgot after pulling enough for my plate for dinner Sunday night.  Afterward, I realized I never failed to pull the whole roast before while it's hot.  I know briskets are best left whole and sliced as you use them to save moisture...does the same hold true for a pork butt?

1/3/19 @ 4:45 PM
fetch-um-up
User since 2/19/06

Very simple recipe for smoking venison or waterfowl.  Use 1T Tender Quick Curing Salt per pound of meat and put in ziplock bag with just enough water to cover.  Shake to dissolve.  Shake every day for week to 10 days.  Timing is not critical as this is an Equilibrium Brine and it will only absorb so much salt.  Then time and let dry to form pellicle.  Into smoker at 200 give or take and check every half hour or so after 2 hours, depending on the thickness.  This brine will penetrate to about 2 inches, so adjust your cuts accordingly......

1/3/19 @ 8:22 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I guess I didn't even consider there would be a thread specifically for bacon, but then again, it is bacon...

Thanks!

1/2/19 @ 2:56 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Go to the bacon thread, the have a good recipe and good tips

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 228 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.