LOGIN
Lake-Link

What have you smoked lately? Q-view...

12/3/12 @ 11:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gator43
Gator43
USER SINCE 8/1/01
Just before Thanksgiving, wanted to smoke some snacks to take to my Mom's....did a Spiral ham, couple pound of mixed nuts, and I usually throw on some red taters just because. I rub a little EVOO on the taters, some seasoning, and pull them out when the main course is done. Sometimes they're not cooked all the way through, but can always be finished off when you decide how you want to cook them. I either chop and fry up, or finish off as a baked tater...red taters cook quicker... Good stuff.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 304 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

6/24/22 @ 6:08 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
USER SINCE 1/11/05

6/24/22 @ 5:57 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
USER SINCE 1/11/05

Couldn’t get pics to add earlier. 

6/24/22 @ 12:41 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
USER SINCE 1/11/05

Built a smoker with a friend using a vintage Kelvinator and a cheapo pellet grill I got on clearance at Wal-mart for $150. Been drinking beer out of it at a friend’s cabin for over 20 years, so I had to find a use for it. The grill took a ride in a big wind storm, but the auger/burner/hopper assembly still worked fine. The two items are decades apart in technology, but paired well with each other for this.

I’ve done bacon and hams out of two hogs we home butchered, a couple of chickens, and some other things. So far the results have been good. 

Last week I did 80 lbs of pork shoulder for sandwiches at our son’s graduation party. It was a crowd pleaser. 

6/17/22 @ 4:57 PM
kona77
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Smoked a 11lb pork belly today for a buddy. Of course I will need to test a bunch when I slice it this weekend    Smoking a 9lb pork loin tomorrow for a family event. Another favorite and easy smoke process.  

6/3/22 @ 7:11 AM
dsinwi
USER SINCE 1/24/02

@Shellfish. I used the probe that came with the grill. I don't have a hand held so it's possible it may not be accurate as you mention. I had the probe in the meat at about the average thickness, half way between the small and large end. These pieces were off the larger end and in the pic they do look more rare than they were. The small end was more done which is to be expected. Stuff seems to get done faster than I would expect on it that's for sure.

It was delicious and didn't last long.   

5/30/22 @ 12:11 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

Smoked pork butt. I just have a cheap charcoal smoker but I love it. Smoked it at around 200 degrees for about 6 hours. Meat was at 170 degrees but I was out of charcoal so I brought it in and finished it in the crock pot this morning. Yum!

5/25/22 @ 1:44 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

Last week I smoked pieces of white bass.  Yesterday I smoked the whole thing - head cut off and gutted, of course.  I also removed the scales, soaked them in the brine for 48 hours and smoked them for about 6 hours at a temperature that ranged from 150 to 180 degrees.  They turned out good - better than the pieces did, which I know I overcooked.

5/24/22 @ 7:09 AM
Shellfish
USER SINCE 7/19/03

Dsinwi...your picture of moose loin looks great.  My thoughts are,  you mentioned it kind of got away from you and the internal temp was 165 degrees.  If the picture you showed was of the meat you smoked 165 degrees would not have that much red/pink meat.  I would estimate that meat at 130 to 135 degrees.  I use 2 different temp guages at same time to make sure of internal temp.  Then i use an instant temp device to verify those temps.  It is possible your temp guage is not accurate or it might have been near the surface of the meat and registered that temp which would have been hotter.  That is the reason i use multiple temp guages to help me reduce the chance of missing the temp i am shooting for.  Either way,   that was a fine piece of moose you smoked!!   Smoke on

5/20/22 @ 8:29 AM
AO
USER SINCE 8/1/01

Tried something new to me the other day bought a bag of plain almonds at fleet. Tossed them in a little bit of butter and garlic/salt   then split the batch in half and covered the other half in some powdered hot pepper mix I have. Then put in the pellet grill at 200 for a couple hours. It was great the wife loved the tame batch and the spicy for me was awesome especially with a beer. Didn't last long that's for sure.

5/17/22 @ 12:36 PM
kmanster
kmanster
USER SINCE 7/5/06

I have not, I swear....Why do you ask :)

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 304 POSTS
Advertise here
Spot-Lock®. Effortless, responsive control. And a track record of toughness that only come from Minn Kota. Ultrex™ gives you more time on the water, more casts, more catches – and more of what you came out here for. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Ultrex
Designed with the inputs of Bassheads nationwide, Victory features 25 balanced models focused on techniques, comfort, and the ultimate in fish ability and affordability backed by a 15 year transferable warranty, built in the USA. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Victory Spinning Rods
The Bio-Minnow Shallow Diving Jerkbaits are suspending. It is available in two sizes and in five fish-attracting colors as well as a clear ready-to-paint version. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Bio-Minnow Shallow Diver Jerkbait
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.