MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Venison Backstrap

11/22/21 @ 6:44 PM
INITIAL POST
icefitchin
icefitchin
User since 12/13/03

I’ve had a very successful deer season, with plenty of venison in the freezer. I’m looking for suggestions, on everyone’s favorite way to cook up venison backstrap. 

I typically cube, marinade, wrap in bacon…. And cook over charcoal. 

What’s everyone’s favorite way to prep or cook this delicious piece of meat?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 30 posts
3/21/23 @ 7:12 PM
tailsneyes
User since 11/29/19
Found a new seasoning. Use it for everything from venison to beef to vegetables. Highly recommend
Venison Backstrap photo by tailsneyes
3/20/23 @ 9:43 AM
Wjbk95
User since 4/12/21
I watched a cooking show over the weekend…America’sTest Kitchen, they did a beef Wellington, kinda got me thinking to try it but with a back strap instead, had anyone ever tried??
12/2/22 @ 9:33 PM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01

Grilled a Penzey chicago,lightly seasoned venison backstrap  this evening to med rare,a foil packet of buttered,spiced sliced potatoes,& thick cut onion slices. Sides of fresh mushrooms,sautéed in red wine,& butter,and a steaming pan of green beans,drizzled with balsamic vinegar once bowled.

No pict of this meal,perhaps tomorrows?

12/2/22 @ 2:50 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

My wife and daughter prefer Chicago Steak Seasoning on their pieces, but I prefer melted butter, brown sugar, and soy sauce. I mix that together and mop it on while grilling.  

12/2/22 @ 1:58 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I cut most of my back loins into butterfly this year.  First time I've actually made steaks out of my deer - I usually keep the roasts whole for a nice roast on the grill and just cut the back loin in thirds and decide what to do with it later.  A favorite of my wife and kids is to pound them down, fry them in some butter, salt and pepper and place on a small bakery bun.  I add hot sauce to mine sometimes but it's not necessary. 

Now I'm hungry for some!

12/2/22 @ 12:04 PM
BigHorn
User since 10/24/11
Like others have mentioned, I cut each backstrap into 3 large chunks.  For grilling, I just use S&P to start.  I put one large chunk on the Pit Boss smoker grill at P4 smoke until internal temp is 110.  I remove the meat and crank the grill up to 400 degrees.  While it's heating up I brush the meat with melted garlic butter.  When the grill is at 400 I put them back on for a minute or 2 on each side depending on size.  When done they have a nice crust on the outside and the inside is nice and red and juicy.  Gonna grill one tomorrow!!!  I got an old buck this year, so hopefully it's tender!!  The tenderloins were a little tough just grilling on a gas grill at deer camp.  I'll try to remember to add pics.  
1/1/22 @ 10:58 AM
buckbin
PRO MEMBER User since 6/20/01

I like to cut into butterfly fillets about 1 inch thick each side. Lately have been frying on stove in butter after applying an all purpose rub called The Gospel. I always make up some mushroom and onions. Mushroom and onions fried in butter. about half way done will add couple shots of bourbon and either maple syrup or brown sugar to taste. To taste would have to experiment with that. cook them until a gets to syrupy consistency. I let it get pretty thick. I dont like to over cook meat so will start them in separate pan to medium and then add onion, mushrooms and liquid to steak pan. let steaks simmer a little in there for just a bit and serve with mushrooms and onions over top. 

12/23/21 @ 10:07 PM
apbtrain
User since 11/11/07

We cut our backstraps into thirds. Then season with a little EVOO, kosher salt and pepper and grill them to 130 degrees.  Let them rest, slice and serve.  The other way is to butterfly cut the pieces into individual steaks, wrap in bacon, season with EVOO, kosher salt and pepper and grill to 130 degrees.  I've really grown to like doing the whole pieces and slicing to serve.  Delicious!!

12/20/21 @ 3:39 PM
zeplure
zeplure
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/02

I cut my loins into 3-4 pieces 6-8" long. I will marinade and then grill it as one large piece searing on all sides until the internal is 125ish. Let rest and slice thin. Out Standing!

Venison Backstrap photo by zeplure
12/18/21 @ 6:01 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I'm hungry thinking about it. I cut the strap cross grain (at least an inch and a half or more thick) and just wrap those discs with bacon just like ifitchin. I've been grilling with mesquite charcoal lately and really like it. Rare in the middle, as others have mentioned. I'm also hungry because no deer for me this year.

12/8/21 @ 9:37 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

For bow season this year I grilled up some of my backstrap on the grill.  I cooked it pretty rare, though not on purpose.  The meat was pretty tough.

One of my favorite ways to cook back strap is to slice it, pound it down then quickly fry it in butter, salt, and pepper and serve on slider size buns.

I also love to make stroganoff with it, though my wife and kids don't like stroganoff.  They will eat venison steak sandwiches though.

12/7/21 @ 2:14 PM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

Carpio. I halved the peppers and roasted them on a grill. After grilling i sliced them and put them in a frying pan with onion and a little butter to finish them off. 

12/5/21 @ 11:36 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Jig rod.    How did you make the veggies?     CARPIO 

11/27/21 @ 9:56 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I don’t do anything too fancy to mine…

Smoking hot grill for a quick sear, base with butter, garlic, salt, and pepper, and medium rare.

I think the rare part is the most important, venison taste completely different medium well or well done.

11/25/21 @ 10:08 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I like to use a mix of melted butter, brown sugar, and soy sauce and baste it liberally while grilling. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 30 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE