LOGIN
Lake-Link

Venison Backstrap

11/22/21 @ 5:44 PM
ORIGINAL POST
icefitchin
icefitchin
USER SINCE 12/13/03

I’ve had a very successful deer season, with plenty of venison in the freezer. I’m looking for suggestions, on everyone’s favorite way to cook up venison backstrap. 

I typically cube, marinade, wrap in bacon…. And cook over charcoal. 

What’s everyone’s favorite way to prep or cook this delicious piece of meat?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/27/21 @ 8:56 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER SINCE 12/18/07

I don’t do anything too fancy to mine…

Smoking hot grill for a quick sear, base with butter, garlic, salt, and pepper, and medium rare.

I think the rare part is the most important, venison taste completely different medium well or well done.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
11/25/21 @ 9:08 AM
hockeyguy39
USER SINCE 8/24/07

I like to use a mix of melted butter, brown sugar, and soy sauce and baste it liberally while grilling. 

11/24/21 @ 12:11 PM
Hogman2010
Hogman2010
USER SINCE 11/5/20

Another favorite I saw on a Ted Nugent story. Cut in 3/4 to 1" strips. Dredge in a dry spicy corn meal fish mixture. Fry in 1/2" hot oil off your choice quickly. Ends up crispy on the outside and Med rare on the inside. Hard to stop eating them as you're cooking them right out of the pan. Yummy

11/24/21 @ 8:16 AM
rookie2
USER SINCE 7/21/04

That is certainly an excellent way to prepare backstrap. One of my favorite recipes and one that guests also rave over can be done with any cut. Soak meat in milk for 12 hours in fridge, rinse well and follow the Mississippi Pot Roast recipe found on the internet. It is crazy good!

11/23/21 @ 10:44 PM
Puddle scum
USER SINCE 8/5/15

I agree marinating backstrap is criminal. I like 3/4 inch thick cut. Salt,pepper,flour and a little garlic fried in butter medium rare. Take pan drippings and add evaporated canned milk with regular milk 50:50 and  a little flour and season with salt and pepper for a gravy

11/23/21 @ 4:19 PM
s.s esox
USER SINCE 12/22/14

Marinating back strap is criminal. Save that for all the other cuts. Simpler is better. Sprinkle on favorite steak season and sear in HOT pan with a little bit of oil. Only flip once. After flipping when the meat starts to sweat blood get it off pan! Its done. Rare.  It's critical not to overcook. Can beat venison backstrap. 

11/23/21 @ 2:29 PM
Bite Me whiners
USER SINCE 9/30/12

back strap recipe i like is when still partially froze i slice it about 1/8 inch then take a bowl put olive oil and garlic and Montreal steak season roll it around till all is coated then charcoal it but just sear it wrap in foil and prep your salad and fries making my mouth water gonna have to make some 

11/23/21 @ 12:50 PM
badgerstatehunter
USER SINCE 2/6/06

A recipe I love for backstrap or tenderloin.  Cut into small cubes, 1 x 1 or so.  Throw in bowl and coat in Italian dressing for an hour.  Then cut a jalapeno into small disks.  Cut cream cheese into small squares.  Toothpick them all together with a bacon wrap and grill.  

11/23/21 @ 12:43 PM
JigRod
USER SINCE 11/16/01

Hey Fin, thanks for the recommendation. I might try that with a neck roast in a crock pot. 

11/23/21 @ 10:34 AM
FIN4LIVIN
USER SINCE 6/4/19

I do agree  with you JR on marinating. I guess the real reason I started to is mainly for people around me that don’t have the taste for game. Also my ex wife’s aunt and uncle were neighbors with the people that invented Soy Vay. So they’d bring a case back to Wisco every time they came home from Cali. Also the way you suggested had a few masking agents as well. Definitely not knocking that at all as they sound damn good too!

How about you just try Soy Vay once for fun and give us your “feed”back. Hope you are having a good season and can enjoy the fruits of the hunting labor!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.