MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Turkey noodle soup

11/30/19 @ 11:37 AM
INITIAL POST
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

With most of us having left over turkey from Thanksgiving, thought I'd post my turkey noodle soup recipe. 

Take whatever turkey you have left from Thanksgiving, and place it in a large stock pot (the entire carcass.) Fill the pot with chicken broth (I like Swanson) and water (about 60/40 broth to water), and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, turn the heat down to simmer, and let it slowly boil for no less than two hours. 

Once the meat is falling off the bone, use a pair of tongs to remove the big pieces, and place the meat on a large cookie sheet (or two) to cool.  Once most of the meat is removed, pour the broth through a large strainer into a separate stock pot (or several smaller pots if you don't have two large pots.) 

Place any meat left in the strainer on the cookie sheet(s) along with the rest of the meat to cool, and then pour the broth back into the original large stock pot, and turn the burner back onto medium heat.  

While the meat is cooling and the broth is heating back up, chop up a full onion, two bags of carrots, and two bags of celery.

Once everything is chopped, place the veggies in the stock pot. Then separate the meat from the bones off of the cookie sheet, and place it in the stock pot along with the veggies. 

Once the contents of the stock pot just starts to boil, season the soup to taste with Better than Bullion Roasted Chicken Soup Base (can be found at most grocery stores.)  I usually use (3) 8 ounce jars (see attached), and let the soup come to a boil, then turn down to simmer until the carrots, onions, and celery are soft.  Then add parsley, and your favorite noodle, I really like Mrs. Miller's homemade soup noodles (see attached)

Boil until the noodles are soft, and you're done!  I typically place the stock pot outside on the back deck to cool. 

Once the soup is cool, place into the desired size Tupperware containers, and place in your freezer.  The soup freezes extremely well.

It's really nice in the dead of winter for a quick meal, or if you have a winter cold - just pull one of the containers out of the freezer, microwave for 5 minutes to thaw it out, and then place on the stove top on low heat until hot. 

You can adjust this recipe bigger or smaller without any issue. You just need more or less chicken broth, veggies, turkey, noodles, and soup base. 

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
12/15/20 @ 12:49 PM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08
Agree on the noodle comments. Noodles, rice, dumplings, whatever your choice, add when you will be eating it.
12/15/20 @ 11:29 AM
Hogman2010
Hogman2010
User since 11/5/20

Better than Bullion also makes a turkey flavor. I usually saute my veggies first in a little oil before adding to my soups and stews. It brings out the natural sugars in the veggies and makes the flavor much better.  

12/15/20 @ 9:26 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

I agree that turkey noodle soup freezes well. However, I would not freeze with noodles, given that pasta does not freeze well and turns mushy. Better to freshly boil and add pasta at the time of use.

12/15/20 @ 9:25 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I make that recipe pretty much the same way.  Only difference when I make it is I cook the noodles fresh when I want the soup.  they're not as soggy that way.  I prefer my noodles not too soft.

12/14/20 @ 7:28 PM
Gill 1774
Gill 1774
PRO MEMBER User since 6/17/03

Plmlk made the recipe and gave me some it was amazing. Best broth Ive ever tasted

12/7/19 @ 9:21 PM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08

No comment on the soup, but I find that freezing soup/stock/sauce in large ziplocks (or vac sealer) saves space in freezer. You can lay them flat and stack them in the freezer with very little dead space. 

We save bones from rotisserie chicken or roasted chicken in the freezer until we have enough for stock. Or ham bones for bean ham soup. 

11/30/19 @ 2:59 PM
Gill 1774
Gill 1774
PRO MEMBER User since 6/17/03

Im the lucky recipient of one container .  Im sure its great Brents chicken soup is the bomb. I found a dead skunk on the road today gonna make some soup up for my buddy.

11/30/19 @ 1:20 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Into the freezer they go...

13 easy meals for this winter...

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE