Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
by: KATHERYN'S KITCHEN
November 12, 2013
(here's the scallop potatoes recipe from a finalist entry in the 2013 Your Best Potato Recipe)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 3 peppercorns
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large Spanish or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large Yukon Gold potatoes (2 to 3 pounds), peeled
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- In saucepan, bring cream, garlic, peppercorns, thyme, and salt to just under boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes... Remove from heat; set aside...
- Heat your oven to 300° F.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat and cook onion, stirring often, until light brown, about 45 minutes... Slice potatoes as thinly as possible... (using a mandoline if available)
- Layer 1/4 of the potatoes in greased about 8 x 12-inch glass baking or casserole dish; top with 1/3 of the onion and 1/4 of the cheese... Repeat twice. Top with remaining potatoes... Strain cream mixture over potatoes, shaking casserole to distribute evenly... Sprinkle with remaining cheese...
- Bake in 300°F oven on a baking sheet (to catch drips) until tender and a knife inserted into the dish pierces potatoes easily, 1 1/2 to 2 hours... (Make-ahead: Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days... Reheat, tented with tin foil, in 375° F oven for 30 minutes)
- Tip: For a lighter version, steep garlic, peppercorns, thyme, and salt in 2 cups of (500 mL) milk... Then make béchamel sauce: In saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat... Add 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour... Cook, stirring, for 1 minute... Whisk in strained milk mixture, and simmer everything for 5 minutes until slightly thickened... Pour over potatoes