SEARCH
MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Salsa Recipe

9/19/14 @ 9:08 AM
INITIAL POST
Thiel66
User since 1/9/14
I would like to make my own CANNED salsa from the tomatoes I planted this year, but I do not have a good recipe. I was wondering if anyone had a good CANNED salsa recipe that I could try. I would prefer something that is thick and spicy. Thanks
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
8/2/21 @ 8:38 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I made some fresh salsa last night.  I definitely prefer the cooked, but it wasn't that bad.  I used about half an onion, chopped finely and it was still too much.  I added two jalapenos to my half of the salsa and left them out for the wife.  She also said she preferred the cooked salsa.  I used one banana pepper, two small green peppers, three garlic cloves, choppped up cilantro (fresh), cumin, and salt for spices, little bit of lime juice, little bit of apple cider vinegar, and about 2 pounds of tomatoes.

7/30/21 @ 5:53 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20

Can’t divulge all secrets but when I used to make a lot of salsa I would add a couple of jars of Lassak ring peppers that makes it taste like the picante salsa you buy in a jar and it is really good but you can make it a lot thicker on your own.

7/29/21 @ 9:08 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

It's almost time to start making salsa again.  Fresh vs cooked, what do people prefer?  I've always made cooked salsa but am contemplating making a batch of fresh salsa.  Problem is I don't care for onions that much, so I need a recipe that goes light on the onions.

9/30/14 @ 2:37 PM
FGH
FGH
User since 6/24/10
The key to getting thick salsa is to peel & seed the tomatoes and hand squeeze the moisture out. This is a must! Then I rough chop them in the Cuisenart. 6 lbs tomatoes 1 red onion finely chopped 1 white onion finely chopped 1 yellow onion finely chopped 3 green peppers finely choped 5 jalapenos chooped (or other hotter peppers) 3 6oz cans of tomato paste Salt & pepper to taste Simmer it all for three hours uncovered (further cooks out moisture). Then can in hot water bath for 15 minutes. GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!!!
9/28/14 @ 10:23 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
For thickness use a paste/roma tomato that has more meat and less juice and seeds. The tomatoes we grow have almost no seeds/slime when sliced and what is there we scoop out with a spoon. We roast or smoke all of the ingredients that we use. Makes peeling very easy and adds a great flavor. This dries them out considerably, but requires a lot more tomatoes. When smoking everything we will smoke a lot of jalapeños and then dry them in the dehydrator to have chipotles on hand all year.
9/26/14 @ 12:58 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
There is no real recipe for this. I look at it like an end of the season run. If I lack something I'll get it at a farm stand. Tomato, peppers (various heat), onion, corn, garlic, whatever you want. I freeze and can, prefer to freeze because it's easier.
9/25/14 @ 3:34 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02
Makes approx.7 pints. The more you simmer the less it makes.20 tomatoes skinned and cored I usually use 25 or more. 4-5 hot peppers 2 large onions 7-8 green peppers chopped 2T canning salt 2T lemon juice 2T white vinager 1/2t garlic salt 2T sugar 1t paprika 2 small cans tomatoe paste simmer for 3-4 hours depending how thick you want it. Leave cover on for couple hours then take it off. Anyone that ever tried it really liked it.
9/24/14 @ 9:17 AM
Kutt
Kutt
User since 6/30/09
Here is my Salsa: I don't reinvent the wheel here. For seasoning I use Mrs. Wages. I add tomato paste, peppers, vinegar, onions, brown sugar. If you want measurements, let me know. I peel and cut the tomatoes in big pieces, then push them around a strainer to get out as much juice as possible.
9/24/14 @ 1:27 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
I'm with casting. The hardest part is getting it thick. I freeze mine, when it thaws a lot of the clear liquid runs off, get rid of that. After a batch or two you should have it figured out.
9/21/14 @ 10:58 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
look at this one http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes/zesty-salsa its hard to mess up salsa, my wife makes and cans ours and adds stuff like corn or black beans. She ad-libs alot and it never turns out bad.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE