MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Refrigerator Pickles

8/27/18 @ 8:55 AM
INITIAL POST
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

Who has a good refrigerator pickle recipe?

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
8/31/20 @ 11:52 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Made another batch of pickles over the weekend.  The farmer I got them from said this'll probably be the last week she'll have the small size cucumbers I like, though she should have more bigger ones for a couple weeks yet.  I added some jalapenos and serrano peppers to the jar this time in hopes of adding some heat.  We'll find out if the pickles picked up the heat or not in about two weeks.  Same recipe as below for the mixture I used.  My fridge is going to be so full of pickles in a couple of weeks!  I still have some left from the July's pickles!

7/29/20 @ 1:09 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Here's my dad's recipe that I've used for years, it's a fermented pickle:

Almost 1 gallon of water

3/4 Cup Salt

1 Cup Vinegar

Fresh Dill including the seeds

1 garlic, chopped

Mix salt and water, add vinegar.  Set aside.  Place cucumbers, dill, and garlic in a jar, rotating them until the one gallon jar is full.  Pour liquid over the pickles, making sure every one of them is covered. Place a glass with some water in it on top to prevent some of the pickles from floating.  Store in a dry, cool location like the basement or root cellar if you have one.

Wait about 10 days, water should get cloudy.  Refrigerate once they are done to your liking.  They stay crispy for about a month in the fridge, but will keep for several months.

8/23/19 @ 12:19 PM
kfpanfish
User since 12/11/18

Cosmo,

Thanks for posting your recipe. Tried it this week and all I can say is awesome. Ended up with 9 jars of some tasty pickles. I added some Jalapenos to a couple jars, just to see if I could make some spicy ones. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing!

8/23/19 @ 12:15 PM
kfpanfish
User since 12/11/18

Cosmo,

Thanks for posting your recipe. Tried it this week and all I can say is awesome. Ended up with 9 jars of some tasty pickles. I added some Jalapenos to a couple jars, just to see if I could make some spicy ones. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing!

8/14/19 @ 11:38 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

My pickles stay crispy. I cut off about 1/4 “ off of both ends before brining.   CARPIO 

8/14/19 @ 8:37 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

Don’t your pickles get soft after a week or so? I have tried all of these recipes and am usually disappointed after the pickles sit for a couple weeks. They are soft and mushy. Maybe I’m just fussy and like a very crisp pickle. I do find that if I buy smaller pickles and keep them whole, they do stay crispier. I’m told that by adding fresh grape leaves (tannin)the pickles will remain crispier. However I never have any fresh grape leaves available.

8/13/19 @ 6:53 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

These are so good that I eat them as a snack!  Try them and let me know your thoughts. CARPIO 

8/13/19 @ 9:27 AM
COSMO 1
COSMO 1
PRO MEMBER User since 9/18/01

My home made Claussen style pickles:

Cosmo's Claussen pickles

10-15 medium/large pickle size cucumbers (wash and cut in quarters) 

BRINE:
2 quarts filtered water

3/4  to 1 cup of white vinegar( your choice of how tangy you want them)

1/4 cup canning salt(i'm cutting back on my salt intake, so if you want you can use 1/2 cup of salt)

heavy 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed

1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes

1 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns

4 teaspoons of dill seed

1 tablespoon dried diced garlic

bring above brine to a simmer and let it cool, sterilized your canning jars/lids and let cool, put cut cucumbers in the jars carefully squeezing them each jar until just snug. 

as the brine cools the solids in the brine will settle in the bottom of the pan, using a ladle and be careful not to disturb the solids in the bottom put the cooled brine over the cucumbers leaving at least one inch from top of canning jar, followed by two tablespoons of the solids from the brine in each jar. put the lids on(do not tighten) let the jars sit on your counter for two days.  then after two days they are ready to eat (will become stronger as they age) tighten the lids and put in the frig, they will keep for 4-6months or longer?....that is if they last that long....lol 

Then enjoy your "Cosmo's Pickles" Claussen knockoffs

5/6/19 @ 10:04 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

I am looking for a cinnamon pickle recipe...OMG are they good.

9/2/18 @ 4:53 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Fridge Pickles: 2 cups water, 1 quart vinegar, 2/3 cups salt, 3 cups sugar. Place in pan and bring to a boil and turn off heat. Then toss in 1 chopped onion (at least), the rest is optional: dill, bay leaves, various peppers, etc.   I used to toss a bunch of cukes into the warm solution but now let it cool and the pickles turn out nice and crunchy. I only put in bay leaves and onion last time and they tasted great. Let the cukes sit overnight and enjoy....

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE