LOGIN
Lake-Link

Red Beans & Rice...

8/9/20 @ 10:45 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Larballslobasaurus
User since 4/8/17

plus it's a lower carbon footprint...

If you are concerned about greenhouse gasses you might want to consider a dish that does not include red beans. 

…and as a sidenote, are you aware that passing gas can spread Covid-19?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/22/20 @ 7:53 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

I recently learned the hard way that even dry beans need to be fresh. Used some that were years old and I had to bake 12 hours!

8/21/20 @ 12:02 PM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

Overnight soak with more than enough  water and a spoonful of baking soda is the way I start out. Dump off the soda water the next day, rinse, then add fresh water, salt and start up boiling on the stove. Before they are done you can add some of the other ingredients you already mentioned, including pouring off a bunch of the salt water and putting in a broth to finish cooking. Dried stuff comes with more work but at a fraction of the cost of canned. Baked with sugar was never my favorite either. Adding chopped veggies and maybe meat during the last bit of cooking works just fine for me. Rice is cooked separate. For taste, I don't think black beans can be beat. A college buddy used a pressure cooker to expedite things cooking too many for the pot and the vent plugged, and when the safety release popped he ended up scraping his supper off the ceiling!

8/10/20 @ 12:22 AM
Larballslobasaurus
User since 4/8/17

Phat Walleyes, greenhouse gasses are certainly a concern, but unfortunately must be placed on the back burner for now.  Addressing the threat from Covid-19 is a much higher priority.  Science has proven that this virus can be transmitted thru flatulence.   Please reconsider eating foods that are prone to give you gas such as beans, broccoli, cucumbers, etc.  If you must eat these foods please take precautions such as rolling your facemask into a ball and inserting it in your anus.  It’s not your life you might be saving, it’s the other guys.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.