MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Pickled Stuff

8/18/19 @ 4:19 PM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

There are some great pickling recipes here. I’m pretty proud of the response I’ve gotten from my Granny’s pickled egg recipe. But what else can be pickled? 

I tried a new recipe today and can’t wait to try the finished product. Picked kohlrabi. It’s a Vietnamese recipe. Sliced ‘rabi in a water/apple cider vinegar/salt brine. The jars are stuffed with the ‘rabi, Star anise, garlic, hot pepper flakes and cilantro prior to pouring the brine in the jars. 

I’ll report back with the actual recipe in a few days when it’s ready to try.

Up next is a Korean daikon radish and carrot pickled relish. 

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
11/18/19 @ 11:12 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Fillet fish and skin, remove the mudline, any fat from the meat and cut into bite size pieces. Mix 3 cups water to 1/2 cup pickling salt, place fish in the salt brine, refrigerate for 48 hours stirring a few times. Drain fish and cover with white vinegar, refrigerate for 48 hours stirring a few times. Prepare a brine using 1 cup vinegar, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup White Port wine and one tablespoon pickling spice. Simmer brine for 20 minutes and cool. Once brine is cool I add one cup wine, for each cup of wine in the brine recipe, to the cooled brine. Remove fish from the vinegar and place in a jar with layers of onion. Cover with brine. Age in the fridge for 7 - 10 days and enjoy. Fish will keep for several months in the fridge. I have done whitefish, walleye, northern and white bass with this recipe with good results. A friend uses this recipe and adds diced halepenos to the jar along with the onion. Cold water fish are better for pickling. Any bones in the fish will dissolve before eating. When I do 10 whitefish for pickling I need to use 5 times brine mix ratio to get enough to cover the fish. I get Fairbank White Port wine in the 1.5 L bottle. When mixing the salt and water for the salt brine be sure to make plenty to cover the fish well. 

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE