SEARCH
MORE
Recipies & Cooking

pickled panfish recipe

12/28/20 @ 3:44 PM
INITIAL POST
db3lines
User since 4/21/13

I would like to try some pickled  panfish. anyone have a recipe to share? Thanks Doug

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
1/15/21 @ 7:33 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

The longer in fridge does it give you more flavor  ?

1/10/21 @ 9:19 PM
Kutt2
User since 10/31/15

This one works:

People pee their pants when they try this.

Remember to freeze fish before pickling.  

It will take about 3-4 pounds of filleted fish for this batch. Increase as needed. Fillet fish and cut in chunks.

Onions diced large.

For the Brine:

1 1/4 cups white vinegar

6 cups water

One cup pickling salt (brine should float an egg)

For the Syrup:

“It is good enough to drink”

2cups white vinegar

1 cup White Port wine

1 cup sugar

1 Tablespoon pickling spice

Soak fillets in brine for 24 hours.

After 24 hours, rinse fillets well under cold water.

Put syrup ingredients in pan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to avoid burning the sugar. Let the syrup cool. (Place the pan in ice water to speed this process.)

Layer fish and onions loosely in large jars leaving a little head space. (I use 1 qt. wide mouth jars.)

Fill jars with syrup and let stand 10-14 days. This makes about two quarts.

I use red Port wine. Fillets turn a nice magenta color.

Enjoy!! Change your pants

1/5/21 @ 12:06 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

db3lines, in my recipe in place of the wine you can substitute 3/4 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup water for the cup of wine. As far as the wine I add to the cooled brine just eliminate it and make enough brine for the quantity of fish you have. I began using the added wine to the cooled brine one time when my brine was not going to be enough to cover the fish I had. After adding the wine to extend the brine I noticed it did enhance the flavor some. 

1/5/21 @ 5:17 AM
db3lines
User since 4/21/13

Thanks Guys. But is there any recipes with out wine in them?

1/4/21 @ 3:17 PM
beanthewalleyslayer
beanthewalleyslayer
User since 1/18/10

I use the same one from in fisherman and we all love it.. anything from walleye perch gills or pike.  Red onions are a must! 

1/4/21 @ 9:37 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

In-Fisherman Pickled Fish

Here's the recipe I've been using for about two years now.  

12/30/20 @ 2:25 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Yes LOOK at the other thread both eyesman and I have posted those numerous times over the past years

12/30/20 @ 1:28 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I do not rinse the fish after the salt brine soak. I do drain them well in a strainer type bowl. I have seen other recipes where the fish are rinsed in cold water after the salt brine soak. I think the salt is all dissolved in the brine and then soaks into the fish with little to no salt on the surface to be rinsed off. The salt brine will leech out any blood in the fish as well as break down any slime if you have the skin on the fish. Rinsing could help get rid of that if it is present. 

12/30/20 @ 1:02 PM
xlesox
User since 3/13/09

Eyesman,

Thanks for sharing.  After the initial soak in the salt brine, do you rinse the fish before placing them in the vinegar?  I am eager to try this recipe.

12/29/20 @ 9:14 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Fillet fish and skin, remove the mudline, any fat from the meat and cut into bite size pieces. Mix 3 cups water to 1/2 cup pickling salt, place fish in the salt brine, refrigerate for 48 hours stirring a few times. Drain fish and cover with white vinegar, refrigerate for 48 hours stirring a few times. Prepare a brine using 1 cup vinegar, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup White Port wine and one tablespoon pickling spice. Simmer brine for 20 minutes and cool. Once brine is cool I add one cup wine, for each cup of wine in the brine recipe, to the cooled brine. Remove fish from the vinegar and place in a jar with layers of onion. Cover with brine. Age in the fridge for 7 - 10 days and enjoy. Fish will keep for several months in the fridge. I have done whitefish, walleye, northern and white bass with this recipe with good results. A friend uses this recipe and adds diced halepenos to the jar along with the onion. Cold water fish are better for pickling. Any bones in the fish will dissolve before eating. When I do 10 whitefish for pickling I need to use 5 times brine mix ratio to get enough to cover the fish. I get Fairbank White Port wine in the 1.5 L bottle. When mixing the salt and water for the salt brine be sure to make plenty to cover the fish well. 

12/29/20 @ 7:10 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

So Utama, do you have a recipe  ?

12/28/20 @ 8:35 PM
green carp
User since 12/23/10

my grandpa made some pickled pike using cheese cloth

12/28/20 @ 7:59 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Look on general outdoor discussion thread there are 48 replies. Do a search before starting another thread.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE