MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Eel Pout....boiled...need help

10/22/19 @ 3:28 PM
INITIAL POST
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

So I don't ever get to eat Eel Pout, but I thought there was a recipe out there for boiling it up, maybe in Sprite and having a Poor Man's Lobster meal.

Does anyone know exactly how to do it and what else can be substituted for Eel Pout?

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
12/14/19 @ 8:59 AM
bottom bouncer
bottom bouncer
User since 9/3/02

Try butter poaching.  It costs a little more but it's worth it.  Melt the buttering a small pan.  The small pan allows you to use the least amount but still cover the meat. Try to keep the temp of the butter at about 180 degrees.  Cook the fish until internal temp is 160 degrees.  This may take up to half an hour.  Some better restaurants do this regularly.  Monkfish is similar to eelpout.  Any thicker white meated fish can be cooked this way.  Halibut, seabass, (which is actually in the cod family) blue catfish. good luck.  B.B. 

11/29/19 @ 9:51 AM
walkerred
User since 10/21/01

Saltwater and old bay. You can use northern pike yum.

11/21/19 @ 6:06 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Where  might I be able to buy some pout? I inquired at Empire Fish but they don’t get them. Thanks.   CARPIO 

11/19/19 @ 9:46 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

So, I tried it last night.

Picked up some good looking cod.  2 liter bottle of Sprite.  

I boiled the Sprite in a large pot.  Added the cod.  It cooked for about 3 minutes.  Then I removed the fish, strained the Sprite, then put the fish into a pan.  I heated up some butter, added a little lemon pepper to it, then spooned that over the fish.

Served it with some wild mushroom risotto and butter dipping sauce on the side.

It was quite good!  Funny thing.....I love tartar sauce.  But tartar was terrible on this fish.  The Sprite gave it a great taste, with just a touch of sweet.  The drawn butter and lemon pepper really helped bring out the sweet taste.  Tartar killed that, so we quickly abandoned the tartar for this fish.

There was absolutely no fishy taste at all and the sweet was subtle.  It was very good and something I'm going to continue to do!

11/8/19 @ 12:21 PM
netmaster
User since 10/22/01

I have had it this way fillet pout cut into half inch pieces. in a fying pan put half full of water a little salt & pepper some lemon juice. bring to a boil.  put in pout let come back to a boil. for two minutes . then put pout into ice cool down the take and dip in cocktail sauce  and have at it  like shrimp . mmmm good

11/8/19 @ 12:05 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Yes, pout are fresh water cod. I've make Poor Man's Lobster with store bought cod and it was just as good.

11/8/19 @ 11:57 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Thanks much!

I have access to a few good fresh fish places by me.  Outside of pike, what should I try?

I saw monkfish.  Cod.  Haddock.

A lot of other fish, but I didn't think they would boil as good as a thicker piece.  I don't feel like Mahi Mahi would be good, or tuna, or shark, or halibut.

But what I'm hearing is....get some 7 up or Sprite.  Boil is up, then add fish.  Remove fish, strain the water, then get it into a pan with a little butter.

Worth the try.  After I've tried it, I'll post results.  Thinking of trying with cod first as the eel pout is supposedly a fresh water cod type of fish.....

11/7/19 @ 8:05 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I caught a nice one in NW Ontario in spring. I skinned and gutted it and then cut the meat off in strips. I boiled the strips on 7up for 3 minutes and then served with drawn butter. The guys at fish camp raved!  I wish we had more pout in WI.

11/7/19 @ 11:10 AM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

bought some frozen up in port wing ,tried the boil it wasnt too good kind of chewey Im pretty sure I boiled it long enough. Boiled pike is a lot better. Baked the next batch of burbot like cod it was great. boil water add some salt boil for three or four minutes. You can also heat up a glass pan with butter in the oven  when you strain the fish toss it in the heated pan that smothers it with the butter and keeps it hot, otherwise it cools off real quick

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE