MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Corned venison

10/23/15 @ 11:10 AM
INITIAL POST
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15
Just corned to venison roast for the 1st time. We'll see how it turns out. Anyone ever done this? Any input would be great. 2 things I luv doing is brewing beer and cooking game meat.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 67 posts
3/12/21 @ 5:02 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Doing two bear flanks and a deer neck.  Brine, boil 1 gallon water, 1 cup 3 1/2 tablespoons mortons kosher salt, 5 tsp pink or #1, 3 tbl pickling spices, 1/2 cup brown sugar. You can do this without pink salt but your meat will be gray. 5-7 days.

3/2/21 @ 4:32 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Pulled the venny today and soaked in water. Then did the pressure canner. Too tough so now in slow cooker. Color good. A hair salty but manageable. Probably get less salty in water in slow cooker. Think it will be fine when finished 

2/25/21 @ 3:33 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

Used Polski's recipe to brine a boneless venison shoulder and a beef tip at the same time . Cooked them together today and , they taste great but, the venison did far better than the beef ! Both were great , the venison will be the reubens for sure !

2/23/21 @ 12:57 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Looks like about 2 1/2 cups on other recipes. And I'm doing bone in neck. Doing brine now.

2/23/21 @ 12:28 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Polski, what is the liquid for the brine? I see water after brine is boiled, but what liquid is used in brine itself? And how much? Thanks

2/18/21 @ 12:20 PM
scott3206
User since 4/29/07

Hey Polski, this may be a stupid question but when you say you corned some venison neck roasts; were they bone in or bone out. Thanks 

2/17/21 @ 11:26 AM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13

I've corned Venison a number of times. It's always been great. Used instead of beef and no one could tell the difference. 

2/16/21 @ 6:33 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Excellent stuff Gentlemen. I do a lot of smoking as does our Son, so we may give that a shot also.

2/16/21 @ 2:46 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

I found it. SimplyRecipes.com home made corned beef. The pink salt is optional and it is 5 tsp per gallon in a wet brine. It says it does add a little more flavor. I am going to try it this year. A few past years mine was grey looking and not quite tasting what you would get commercially, on the other hand they do probably process the heck out of them, and use the pink to get that color and taste, which IMO isnt really that healthy for you but once a year is ok. I have been doing necks mostly, and some flank. I used to grill beef ones from the store on the weber with a little smoke they were really good but soak them first to get some of the salt out.

2/15/21 @ 7:14 PM
Pedmo
User since 1/19/10

I've been using a close to the same recipe as Polski's brine. Simple and works great! I put the meat & brine in a freezer bag(s) to cure. Squeeze out all the air and zip. Easy & clean to "stir" daily (7-10) and the meat is always in contact with the brine. .

I usually brine a few "extra" (always in time for St Patty), then rinse & freeze them uncooked in vac bag. 

When it comes time to make & smoke sausage day/night, I pull them out. Thawed, they get put on a rack in the smoke house with the sausage/ bologna / etc.

8 or so hours later, mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

2/15/21 @ 1:07 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Thanks a bunch Polski. Son coming home this weekend and we'll give it a go. Have the best day possible 

2/15/21 @ 1:06 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Thanks a bunch Polski. Son coming home this weekend and we'll give it a go. Have the best day possible 

2/13/21 @ 5:09 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

1/2 horsey sauce, 1/2 1000 island.

2/13/21 @ 4:35 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

The corned beef recipe looks good. Now who has a dressing recipe for topping the Reubens?

2/13/21 @ 11:30 AM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

My recipe.....

Corned Venison

2 medium neck roast, about 8 lbs total.

1 1/2 cups of canning/pickling salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Mortens Tender Quick
1/2 cup Pickling spice
Mix and boil, let cool

Add meat in container with cooled brine 

add enough water to cover meat,
refrigerate for 7 days, stir each day.

Rinse and soak in cold water, 2 hours.
Pressure cook, 45 min. at 10 lbs pressure.
Remove from heat, let cool til pressure is normal.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 67 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE