SEARCH
MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Cooking steaks

8/4/19 @ 6:52 AM
LJ Walleye Master
BrewCrew4Ever
User since 10/27/09

Season with a salt and garlic combination (or a bit of soy sauce or Cajun can be good, too). There are a ton of seasonings, choose whatever you prefer.  I like my steaks to sit in the refrigerator for about six hours with a seasoning on them. Any hour before grilling, I take my steaks out and let them warm up to room temperature. If my steak doesn't have fat and before I season it, I take a fork and poke it full of holes. This allows seasoning to penetrate the meat and break down tissue. Get the grill screaming hot and cook to your preference. I am a medium rare person, myself. Unfortunately, my family varies from medium rare to well done but I can get them all close to perfection. I prefer charcoal or even wood on the fire pit instead of propane or an oven to cook steaks.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
8/17/19 @ 7:16 AM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

This thread reminds me of the steak scene from Letterkenny. I would add the link here but the language is not proper for all viewers............Good info on prepping cooking steak, it's on U-tube .Search Letterkenny steak for a good laugh!

8/5/19 @ 1:00 PM
browning3
browning3
User since 5/23/02

Make sure steaks are at room temp before cooking.  Season steaks with salt/pepper.  Heat up a cast iron skillet with butter or olive oil to a high heat. Pre-heat oven to 400.  Sear both sides of steak for 4-5 minutes in skillet. Take cast iron skillet and put it in the oven for 8-12 minutes for medium - medium/rare.  Perfect Steaks!!  

8/5/19 @ 12:43 PM
icefisher222
User since 2/14/10

make sure it is totally thawed, salt and pepper both sides at least 2hr before cooking and for best results put it on your grill when your steak is room temp, depending if your using charcoal or gas will determine how long it needs to cook, I use gas for steaks and put them on when its about 5-600 degrees for about 4 minutes per side, if you have a meat thermometer that is the best way to determine when its done to your liking, rare, med or well done

8/5/19 @ 8:53 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

Use a sous vide then sear momentarily or get a meat thermometer and quit guessing.

8/4/19 @ 8:50 PM
welderman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/20/09

Save your money and buy chuck eyes they are VERY tastey and are very tender other than some good looking prime rib it's the only steak I'll buy . you're going to love them use some celery salt on them with what ever season wings you like .Enjoy

8/4/19 @ 7:55 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Grass fed.  Yuk,    A while back I purchased a 1/4 grass fed cut up steer.   Toughest,tasteless piece of beef I ever ate!   I ended giving it to a friend? On a restricted diet.   He also gave it away lol.   CARPIO 

8/4/19 @ 5:32 PM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

Got ya, ribeye will be tenderer that strip but strip steak can be tender/not tough, like I said don't overcook and let it rest before serving. Look for good marbling, prime beef is well marbled and will/should also be tenderer than say grass fed which is leaner, and grass fed is just a fancy term because there is no grass growing in the winter months and all the beef you buy spends at least one winter on something other than grass then are finished before going to bovine heaven. Use the hand trick when cooking steak, make a fist then poke the area between your thumb and index finger it will be hard and that will be well done- shake your hand out and do the same poke with an open hand and that is rare. Our ranchers and farmers need our support so eat more beef.  

8/4/19 @ 9:35 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

Is it possible that the steaks you buy are of a lower grade such as no roll(some no roll can be good but its a gamble)/select/choice or prime ? Many stores sell select grade steaks on sale and you get what you pay for most of the time but not always.  I always look too choice to prime if possible but real prime are usually bought up by commercial steak houses. Don't over cook and let rest at least 5 min after cooking to redistribute the juices and if you use a good cut of beef you should have a tasty satisfying piece of meat. I am happy with the rib eyes I have been getting at the local Kwik Trip, no I don't work there or own stock. Kind of odd that a gas station sells good steak. Any way good luck grilling.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE