SEARCH
MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Best small Fish fryer

7/11/21 @ 9:13 AM
INITIAL POST
redhook
User since 12/25/09

I am looking to purchase a small fryer for our RV, I have a Fry daddy but it is kind of bulky. Looking for one that uses no more than a bottle of fry oil, my home unit uses 2 large bottles (2 quarts) which is a hassle when on the road. Thanks for your input. We tried air fryers but am not impressed with the results.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
8/19/21 @ 5:38 PM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

Thanks for all the great input, I have at this time gone back to my Fry Daddy when I have electric and my old standby cast iron on the camp fire. Still looking for the 32 to 48 oz oil capacity fryer for the RV.

8/16/21 @ 8:14 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

Have same t-fal, works great but might be bigger than what he wants

7/20/21 @ 10:25 AM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

The saucer thing is perfect for RV camping unless you never open the door to step outside. Of course you would use it outside, just like you don't fire up the charcoal grill inside. The OP got some nice options from this short thread IMO.

7/16/21 @ 4:44 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

X....that looks great...I will check it out....doesn't take much to sway away from the original post....that saucer thing wouldn't work very good in a camper....the comments were hilarious.....not even what the original post was about...NORMAL for LL

7/16/21 @ 1:37 PM
xlesox
User since 3/13/09

T-fal makes a nice electric fryer that filters the oil, to be re-used.  Very handy.  On a recent family fishing vacation, we had 3 fish fries for 7 adults and 3 children.  This unit handled it easily.  My wife was the one cooking the fish, and she was very impressed with this model.  She also commented that it was fairly easy to clean.  Our unit is the Model FR8000.  We have had other units in the past (Frydaddy, etc), but we are much happier with this unit.

7/16/21 @ 10:23 AM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

Vegas, you can get the saucer here. I recommend getting the wind skirt with it but not sure Reeds sells it.

Reeds

PS, What happened to that bottle of VOB86 you were going to hook me up with last year?! LOL.

7/16/21 @ 8:34 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

That Fryin' Saucer looks amazing!

7/16/21 @ 6:20 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

The small Krups works well. Takes a little bit for oil to get hot after the first batch, but for a few baskets you can’t beat it.

7/15/21 @ 2:31 PM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

Fryin Saucer. Uses less that a liter of oil and the entire rim heats up to keep fish warm when they come out. Top surface tapers towards oil reservoir so excess oil drains to center. Hooks up to 1lb or 20 lb tank. Great conversation piece! Any time i'm frying someone is taking a picture of the setup.

Not sure why pic rotates when added here. 

7/12/21 @ 3:28 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Small electric deep fryers are slow to heat up and lose temperature each time you drop another basket of food to fry. They then are slow to recover also. To minimize what you need to pack consider what has been suggested in a cast iron or extra heavy aluminum frying pan. I have an aluminum non stick fry pan that is over 1/4” thick and once hot holds heat well. I use about 1/4” of peanut oil in it to pan fry fish with just as good of results as my outdoor turkey cooker with the fish kettle. When using a frying pan preheat the pan before adding oil. Another choice would be to use a 2 quart pan 1/2 full of oil and a deep fry thermometer. With that I use the same oil I use in my turkey type cooker, filter the oil and reuse. I can cook for 2-4 with these methods and am able to serve hot fresh food that way, cooking for 6 or even 8 can be done with a small delay between first batch and last batch cooked. If you choose to do things like frozen fries, tater tots or onion rings in the kettle method it will slow the cooking process down as the frozen stuff takes longer between batches for the temp to recover. A gas stove will be faster to heat the oil than an electric. 

7/12/21 @ 2:00 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

I'm another cast iron pan dude. And absolutely fresh grease each time. 

7/12/21 @ 11:58 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I'm also with JamesD on this one.  I use a cast iron pan with some oil in it and flip it once.  One less kitchen appliance laying around and less grease to deal with.

7/12/21 @ 9:55 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I've got a Presto Dual Daddy that works ok. Temp does drop a bit on each batch so not ideal for a lot of fish, but it will definitely work for a quick meal for 2-3 people.  That said, I much prefer propane and a deeper pot. A new propane set up was on my Xmas list a few years ago, but mother in law figured I must have been mistaken in what I was asking for lol. 

Word of advice with the Presto. Make sure you remove the lid before you plug it in. Brother in law found out the hard way what happens when you don't   

7/12/21 @ 9:06 AM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

Ripalip X 2

7/12/21 @ 9:00 AM
s.s esox
User since 12/22/14

I'm with JamesD. The small electric deep fryers don't get hot enough. The first batch is fine and then the oil temp takes too long to recover its heat. I'm sure this is for safety reasons. I don't reuse fish oil. Its gets nasty from the fillet fish juices leaking into the oil. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE