SEARCH
MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Beaver Recipes pressure cook OR////

6/24/20 @ 6:40 PM
INITIAL POST
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Havent seen any recipes for beaver. I got two lately that were destroying the lakefront. have four hinds. Not a lot on youtube or the net. Im thinking pat dry, rub olive oil, season, brown in butter, in my huge 16 quart presto and add beef bullion and cook like a pot roast. Any one out there got something for me otherwise. I soaked them in cold water overnight to get the blood out. Brine with a little salt or baking soda is what I used to do with ducks from the Great Salt Lake to get that gamey/ skunky salt lake marsh taste and smell out of them.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
7/8/21 @ 9:33 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I’ve tried beaver,coon,squirrel etc, like 5c said muskrat is the best, our kids loved it.  Soak in a brine, dredge in your favorite dry mix and deep fry!      CARPIO 

7/5/21 @ 6:49 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

3lb 4 oz rear quarter rubbed with olive oil put bbq rub two different one on each side let cure for three days. Did what A5c did went to 170 on the grill, awesome tasted just like pulled  pork or ham, grandkids loved it, didnt tell them what it was. Thought it was going to be tough, not at all. Last one I did in the slow cooker all day and had to pressure cook it till done. The BBQ worked out just fine. Thanks A5c

3/23/21 @ 4:42 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Finally cooked some. Soaked first in 2 quarts water 1/2 cup vinegar 2 tsp salt, next day soaked with 2tbl baking soda and 2 tsp salt. The parts were really bloody, so I didnt mind all the soaking. Seasoned, dredged in flour, seared the heck out of it in olive oil, butter, and bacon fat and crock potted with onions and beef broth. Eight hours didnt seem like the meat was that tender but this was a lot, like a six quart cooker. I turned it off figuring it would still cook, still didnt seem tender enough, so I did it for four more hours. Turned out really good, you would not be to tell that it wasnt beef pot roast or vennie. Next time I wouldnt do the flour dredge, thickened up the gravy too much. Poured off the gravy to let it settle and get the fat off the top with a separator. Other parts I still have look really white like chicken so I will try those on the BBQ.

7/28/20 @ 9:37 PM
cubfan
User since 11/6/01

Looks like that beaver was a smoker with those teeth!!

7/24/20 @ 1:28 PM
Badger Sportsman
User since 11/13/07

Crock pot is pretty good 

7/11/20 @ 3:08 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

Kona77. If you can find a trapper in your area, I am sure that you could get plenty of critters to try, plus plenty of your favorites. Bobcat is another very tasty treat. The most important thing with beaver, is when removing the castor and oil sacs, be mindful of ANY of it getting on the meat! It's best to switch knives after you remove them, as a little bit will leave a very bad taste.

7/9/20 @ 9:10 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

A5C-   Looks like a fun event.. I have been to a number of 'wild game" feeds and have tried and liked things like raccoon (and even crow).. I am all for trying new kinds of protein. 

7/8/20 @ 9:42 AM
A5¢
A5¢

There are several critters that I get on my trapline that are great table fare. I will cook up some of the fresh caught ones at my Trappers Ed Workshop, to let the students decide for themselves. 

7/7/20 @ 2:40 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

"Muskrat is even better! "..  I will have to take your word on that one   .. 

7/7/20 @ 10:34 AM
A5¢
A5¢

Muskrat is even better!

7/5/20 @ 9:33 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

First time I have seen a post about beaver on a number of different outdoor/BBQ sites.. Always appreciate feedback on new or different types of protein. Pictures look good.. 

7/4/20 @ 1:12 PM
A5¢
A5¢

I just put the temperature probe in it and cooked it to 165°. Very tender and juicy.

6/26/20 @ 10:33 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

how long did you smoke/ cook it. When I do pork, most times I smoke/ cook for an hour or two then have to put it in the oven to finish covered with foil. It looks like I would rather do it your way as that is what I am used to. That almost looks like beaver ham.

6/25/20 @ 8:53 AM
A5¢
A5¢

I did this one on the smoker. I wiped it down with oil and used a rub. It turned out great. Not chewy or dry. Sauteed in butter is also good. Just think of it as meat and not beaver.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE