Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Bacon!

3/24/18 @ 9:25 AM
ORIGNAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I smoked a cured 5 lb. pork belly yesterday.  The brine was a dry rub of a salt, brown sugar, nutmeg and thyme mixture.  I coated the belly in raw apple cider vinegar before applying the rub.  I let it cure in the brine for 5 days flipping it in the liquid that formed daily.  I smoked it until the internal temp was 150 degrees F.  Took about 3 hours with the wind yesterday.  I used a blend of pecan and apple woods.  Mmmmm!  Bacon!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 50 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/14/20 @ 6:38 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Utah-  Had to look up cottage bacon.. Most BBQ/Smoking sites refer to this process as buckboard bacon (bbb).. I have a friend who has made/smoked a couple of pork butts into bbb and I have had some.. Very good and something I want to try in the future.. He does use pink salt in the cure though.. Most of the guys I know use  www.smokingmeatforums.com as their go-to place for smoking topics. Looks like they have several threads/posts on bbb but I did not research further to see if they have a no-nitrate cure process. I did check you-tube and saw a couple of video's on making regular bacon (from pork belly's) without any nitrates.. Maybe you could apply to a pork butt/shoulder.. Good luck

3/14/20 @ 8:08 AM
woodturner
User since 2/12/04

I've done cottage bacon from this site and it was very good but he does use nitrites.

https://oldfatguy.ca

3/13/20 @ 7:02 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Have you tried shoulder bacon/ cottage bacon.  whats the result if you have. are you using nitrites or not. I dont really want to use nitrites.  I would rather use regular stuff like sugar cure etc is there a recipe/ procedure I  could look up online that you would recommend there are so many

3/4/20 @ 10:59 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Local Costco finally had some decent belly's so I picked up two (9-11lbs).. Used a dry brine/cure with one featuring brown sugar/maple syrup and the other a rosemary/garlic mix..One belly was thicker so I smoked them separately.. Used a cold smoke process for 3-5 hours and then finished  smoking at 200 degrees until the bacon hit 150.. Just sliced and sampled the rosemary garlic and it was delicious.. Regular store bought stuff just can't compare..

2/4/20 @ 11:35 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Have not been able to find good pork bellies at Costco the last several weeks so I decided to make some Canadian bacon.. Have been wanting to try this for awhile. Started with a 9lb pork loin and brined/cured for 11 days.. Smoked yesterday with apple chips.. 2 hours at 120 then increased to 225 until the meat hit 150.. Let sit overnight and just sliced.. Turned out great with good smoke flavor and a touch of sweetness in the meat (brown sugar was in the brine)..  

11/16/19 @ 9:55 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

So I have another local butcher shop pork belly. Looking for a good recipie for some  thanksgiving morning bacon. I prefer dry curing.

7/30/19 @ 10:26 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Yah Kona, I think that will be part of my program.

Next batch, Bourbon and cherry juice . 

7/30/19 @ 7:51 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Edge- Glad you could still salvage some good meals from your effort.. I know the issue of "too salty" has come up on this forum (and others I follow).. One of the things I did was to soak the belly's in cold water for 10-15 minutes after I rinsed them.. I have only  smoked belly's three times but none of mine were salty after I followed this process 

7/30/19 @ 7:56 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Well, I tried a package lastnight. It was pretty good. Instead of vacuum packing I decided to put some apple juice in and freeze. I think that made a world of difference, atleast it cut the salty taste.

7/16/19 @ 1:18 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Yah it was pretty disappointing. 10 days to find out you have sub par bacon.

Learned a lesson though!!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 50 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.