MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Bacon!

3/24/18 @ 9:25 AM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I smoked a cured 5 lb. pork belly yesterday.  The brine was a dry rub of a salt, brown sugar, nutmeg and thyme mixture.  I coated the belly in raw apple cider vinegar before applying the rub.  I let it cure in the brine for 5 days flipping it in the liquid that formed daily.  I smoked it until the internal temp was 150 degrees F.  Took about 3 hours with the wind yesterday.  I used a blend of pecan and apple woods.  Mmmmm!  Bacon!

Bacon! photo by BugleTrout
Displaying 1 to 15 of 60 posts
6/3/20 @ 8:39 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Bugle-  I use a brine recipe from the smokingmeat site for my Canadian bacon and it does have #1 cure. I know there are some concerns about the use of nitrates but several common vegetables (celery etc) also have nitrates and I believe it is OK to use in moderation. Of course that is my take on the subject and understand why others want to avoid them..

1 gallon of water
 1 cup granulated sugar
 3/4 cup of kosher salt
 1 cup brown sugar
 1 Tbs cure #1
 1 Tbs garlic powder
 1 Tbs onion powder
 1 Tbs molasses (mild flavor)

6/1/20 @ 9:51 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Bugle, I used pink because recipe called for it. Prague powder #1. Had to buy mine from spice jungle, online company. Theres also a # 2 pink but my recipie called for # 1. I looked at a salt chart but know quick cure wouldnt work for my Canadian bacon. Good Luck

6/1/20 @ 2:10 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I use the cure type salt in some of my meat processing and brines recipes. Most cure type salt that contains nitrite is colored pink as an identifier that is contains nitrites rather than to provide color to a finished product. 

6/1/20 @ 1:56 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
For those who have made Canadian Bacon, do you use pink salt/curing salt (with the nitrites)? I follow recipes closely the first time that I try them and the one I used had the curing salt as an ingredient. I used Tender Quick which has 0.5% sodium nitrite. I don't use it when I make regular bacon and would like to not add it to my rub for the Canadian version but I think that's what gives it the pink color. 
5/31/20 @ 10:50 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Polski-  That looks great and I agree there is nothing like home made/smoked bacon.  We had some this morning that I cured and seasoned with rosemary/garlic and then finished with a maple syrup rub before slicing.. Wife's birthday and she loved the bacon.   

5/30/20 @ 7:47 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

Brined (dry rub) the two bellies I bought for 7 days, smoked them yesterday. Sliced and packaged them today, ended up with about 22 lbs. Tastee tastee.....

5/19/20 @ 8:23 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

I stopped by my local butcher and asked about getting a couple pork bellies for making some bacon. He laughed and said he really didn't know if he can get them right now and how bad the price will be. He called his supplier and told me they would be $4.99 a pound.  Last fall I paid $4.49 so I didn't think it was terrible. His bellies are always real meatey and trimmed really nice and I never need to cut much off. Told him to get me two. I'm just trying to plan ahead for later this summer when the tomatoes are ready to go (BLT's are my favorite), with all the talks of meat shortages who knows what the price might be by then. SInce making my own now for about 5 years I won't buy that cheap crap that's mostly fat and water.

I also make the Canadian bacon from pork loins which we really like, much cheaper to make but sometimes I just prefer the regular stuff.

BT, that's some good looking stuff you got there.

Edit: picked them up today (2), butcher gave me them for $4.59 (24 lbs) , I'm going to hoarding this batch till August.

5/18/20 @ 8:58 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Bugle-  The smoked loins look great.. Can do a lot of different things with those.. Still like my 'Canadian bacon" with eggs/cheese breakfast sandwiches but agree they are great on pizza.. The local Costco store still had the regular 8-9lb pork (top) loins on my last two visits but I still have a couple in my freezer or I would have purchased another one..

5/17/20 @ 9:59 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I cured and smoked some small pork loins. I couldn’t find any big ones at the local store. I smoked the loins over a maple and apple wood mix. Turned out pretty good.

3/14/20 @ 6:38 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Utah-  Had to look up cottage bacon.. Most BBQ/Smoking sites refer to this process as buckboard bacon (bbb).. I have a friend who has made/smoked a couple of pork butts into bbb and I have had some.. Very good and something I want to try in the future.. He does use pink salt in the cure though.. Most of the guys I know use  www.smokingmeatforums.com as their go-to place for smoking topics. Looks like they have several threads/posts on bbb but I did not research further to see if they have a no-nitrate cure process. I did check you-tube and saw a couple of video's on making regular bacon (from pork belly's) without any nitrates.. Maybe you could apply to a pork butt/shoulder.. Good luck

3/14/20 @ 8:08 AM
woodturner
PRO MEMBER User since 2/12/04

I've done cottage bacon from this site and it was very good but he does use nitrites.

https://oldfatguy.ca

3/13/20 @ 7:02 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Have you tried shoulder bacon/ cottage bacon.  whats the result if you have. are you using nitrites or not. I dont really want to use nitrites.  I would rather use regular stuff like sugar cure etc is there a recipe/ procedure I  could look up online that you would recommend there are so many

3/4/20 @ 10:59 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Local Costco finally had some decent belly's so I picked up two (9-11lbs).. Used a dry brine/cure with one featuring brown sugar/maple syrup and the other a rosemary/garlic mix..One belly was thicker so I smoked them separately.. Used a cold smoke process for 3-5 hours and then finished  smoking at 200 degrees until the bacon hit 150.. Just sliced and sampled the rosemary garlic and it was delicious.. Regular store bought stuff just can't compare..

2/4/20 @ 11:35 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Have not been able to find good pork bellies at Costco the last several weeks so I decided to make some Canadian bacon.. Have been wanting to try this for awhile. Started with a 9lb pork loin and brined/cured for 11 days.. Smoked yesterday with apple chips.. 2 hours at 120 then increased to 225 until the meat hit 150.. Let sit overnight and just sliced.. Turned out great with good smoke flavor and a touch of sweetness in the meat (brown sugar was in the brine)..  

11/16/19 @ 9:55 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

So I have another local butcher shop pork belly. Looking for a good recipie for some  thanksgiving morning bacon. I prefer dry curing.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 60 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE