MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Bacon recipes and information

4/1/23 @ 8:36 AM
INITIAL POST
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

It’s a shame all the info that was lost on here. Let’s share those bacon recipes and tips again! 

We made a few sides last year from a couple hogs I home butchered, and it turned out great. I think I used Bugle’s recipe as a start and tinkered a little. So if you are around BT and willing to post again, I would appreciate it. 

We brined and smoked a couple of hams, too. Also very good. 

Let’s talk bacon…..

Bacon recipes and information photo by the Jimmer
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
5/1/23 @ 10:38 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Are you using a purchased cure, tenderquick, or something else? 
I did ours last year without a cure. I know nitrite/nitrate won’t outright kill you, but like to avoid if possible.

Jimmer-  Was away turkey hunting and not on the site last week. Just saw your question and I do use tenderquick in my curing process. Completely understand your comment about nitrates. Nice looking hog you just butchered and I would consider using only sea salt/kosher salt on a farm raised hog. I am sure you will get some great pork/bacon.  On the subject of Costco and pork bellies I always have to make multiple trips to find meaty pork bellies. Saw the recent post about Woodman/s and I may also try them.  
4/24/23 @ 10:51 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
Thought I would come back and go to an all time recipe with bacon. Just a tad bit of salted butter, mustard, Italian bread, and slices of bacon.
Bacon recipes and information photo by Bassmaster+recordracks 2
4/24/23 @ 5:00 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
I saw a comment below that mentioned Costco's pork bellies being really fatty. I would agree after buying 2 of them. I think that Maplewood's Meats west of Green Bay was mentioned in the other surviving thread about bacon. I would vouch for them and they will trim the skin for you. Maybe more $$ but worth it. 
4/24/23 @ 2:01 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Still here. I just don't visit as much these days. 

This is the site that really helped me get started:

Curing Bacon

Also, I have gone exclusively to pecan for smoking pork, including bacon. I used to use hickory. Pecan is similar but milder. 
4/24/23 @ 9:19 AM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05
Kona, 

Are you using a purchased cure, tenderquick, or something else? 

I did ours last year without a cure. I know nitrite/nitrate won’t outright kill you, but like to avoid if possible.
4/24/23 @ 8:59 AM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05
Well, it’s just about time. We cut these guys up yesterday and will be starting the bacon and ham process in the next day or two. The rest has been wrapped and frozen. 
4/16/23 @ 4:07 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13
BMR-   The old thread mainly dealt with the process of taking pork bellies and curing/smoking/making them into bacon. Also had posts on how to take pork loin and make Canadian bacon. Can also take pork butts and cure/smoke for what is called Buckhorn or Cottage bacon. Some guys posted on making Venison bacon from deer trimmings etc.  Store bought bacon is Ok but smoking/making your own takes bacon to a new level. 
4/13/23 @ 4:26 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
Recipe for bacon? None needed. Fry it up and eat up. Although I have had a few thousand bacon sandwiches. Sliced Italian bread , 1/8 in thick real salted butter. Heinz mustard. The old one preferably. I add vinegar to it like the old recipe and not the frenches save money recipe. 
4/2/23 @ 5:56 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13
I know there were two separate Bacon threads going at one time and the one under Recipe/Cooking is gone. It did have some great information. The one under General Discussions is missing years of posts/information.

Jimmer-  Those were some great looking/meaty bellies (and hams).

I have been looking at belly's again (at Costco) but they were just too fatty. Hope to get some at my next visit (still $3.99lb at Costco). I play around with my recipe/smoking process but it usually starts with a brown sugar/salt/cure dry brine. I do mix in some garlic and fresh rosemary. Brine for 7-10 days and flip the bags every day to get even brine penetration. After I remove from the fridge I wash off/let sit in cold water for 5-10 minutes to remove any excess salt. Pat dry then let sit overnight in fridge. I start with a cold smoke process for 4-5 hours with cherry/apple chips. Last batch I cold smoked the bellies twice (like the extra smoke flavor). Let sit in the fridge overnight after the cold smoke. Finish the next day by smoking at 130-140 degrees for 2-3 hours, then increase to 225 until the bellies hit 150.  I have also added maple syrup/black pepper on some of my bellies along with thyme. Just like playing around with different flavors.  Nothing like home made bacon.
Bacon recipes and information photo by kona77
Bacon recipes and information photo by kona77
4/1/23 @ 9:10 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Bacon?
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE