MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Air Fryers

2/1/18 @ 4:09 PM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

My wife bought an air fryer last fall to cut down on the amount of fat in our diets.  Curious what you all have tried to make in your air fryer (assuming you have one).  We've had success and some that just sucked.  I did not care for fish done this way and will never waste fillets like that again.  It was awful.  My wife tried a couple top sirloins (there was a recipe in the book that came with the fryer).  Nope.  Can't beat a grilled, blackened or broiled steak.  You pretty much have to stick with breading as a coating.  Beer batter makes a big mess.

It's awesome for fries, onion rings, poppers, and other breaded side munchies.  Wings were pretty good but I still make them in the deep fryer from time to time.  The air fried wings just aren't the same but good enough for week nights.  It makes great calamari, egg rolls and rangoon.  We haven't perfected our fried chicken recipe yet.  It just doesn't get as crispy as I'd prefer.  But it does an amazing job of re-heating fried chicken from the local bar or grocery store deli and gets it nice and crispy again.  When I get my fried chicken recipe tweaked, I look forward to trying chicken fried pork chops.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
1/17/20 @ 11:41 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

The wife made cauliflower pieces with buffalo sauce in the air fryer. Not as good as wings but not terrible either.

1/17/20 @ 1:19 AM
josdale
User since 1/16/20

Gosh. I've been thinking for a long time about these before getting one. We too decided that it's finally time to start eating more healthy.
So now we use it regularly to make fries (from regular potatoes) and occasionally for chicken wings (plain wings that we dump sauce on). Another great discovery is that it works perfectly for fish (esp crappie fillets). So it was a good investment after all. 

1/6/20 @ 10:14 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

I just got one I have tried mini tacos brussel sprouts and cheese curds all turned out great.. best yet tho was slicing jalapeno in half and stuffing with bacon, cheddar and cream cheese. In the air fryer for 10min turned out awesome.  Going to try fish for the first time tomorrow

4/14/18 @ 3:58 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I made egg rolls from scratch for lunch. They turned out great.

4/12/18 @ 2:45 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I found a pork tenderloin recipe and video for the brand of fryer that we have.  While doing that, I also found a recipe for beef empanadas in the air fryer.  Gonna have to try that one too. 

4/12/18 @ 12:20 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Dang...I forgot another good one.  Turkey breast.  I inject the breast (with skin) with Creole Butter marinade...it's even low fat.  Then I air fry that breast for about 40 minutes.  When done, it tastes like it came out of the deep fryer.  Very, very good.
4/11/18 @ 8:44 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

The pork tenderloin sounds awesome.  I might have to give that a try this weekend.  I'm also going to make a batch of venison potstickers and try those in the air fryer.  It seems that any of the Asian munchies (egg rolls, rangoon, calamari, etc.) turn out well so I would think that the potstickers would too.

4/11/18 @ 8:26 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I wasted some of my walleye fillets on the air fryer once, never again.  Not walleye.

Swore off fish entirely in that thing, but I got some haddock and halibut the other day.  Dusted it with Craigers mild cajun batter, then air fried it.  Oh, I cut it into chunks, about two inches by 5 inches.  It was delicious.  But Craigers is a light batter and the fish was in chunks, so maybe try that.

I love fried chicken in there.  Season it up, turn it on.  I've done the whole chicken...season it up, flip it breast side down, heat for 40 minutes, then flip it again, breast side up and finish it for 20-24 minutes.  

Did homemade egg rolls the other day, outstanding.

Did chicken wings...meh, they were just okay.  I miss deep fried wings.

Love the mozzarella sticks.

Done pork tenderloin.  I get the ones that are pre-seasoned...just open container put into fryer and 30 minutes later, it's done and delicious.

My favorite is chicken parmigana.  I take a chicken breast and cut it down the middle, so the chicken is thinner, not thicker.  Then I tenderize the breast.  After that I season it with salt, pepper and whatever else I feel like.  Then I dip it into egg beaters and cover in seasoned bread crumbs.  Air fry for about 15 minutes and it is perfect.  I do tender more or less the same way.  

3/6/18 @ 10:58 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I dont air fry but when we bake chicken we use peanut oil for the crispy good tasting finish.  Works good on the grill too.

3/6/18 @ 3:59 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I was in charge of dinner last night so I stopped at the local grocery store and picked up a bag of day-old fried chicken.  It came out of the air fryer as good as it would have been fresh out of their fryer.  And it was cheaper too.  Try it, you'll be amazed how crispy it gets the skin/batter.

3/6/18 @ 3:14 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Bugle,  I agree with you 100%.  The air fryer doesn't do a good job at all frying fish. If you intend on making fried fish healthier,  go for it.  If you are expecting the same taste as pan fried or and oil fryer,  think again.

3/6/18 @ 11:39 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I've tried panfish, salmon and tuna in the air frier and wasn't impressed with any of them. My favorites so far have been a cornish gamehen, grilled cheese, french fries, brussel sprouts and garlic bread.

Haven't tried wings yet but I'm looking forward to it. Pretty happy with the air frier overall though. Easy clean up, cooks fast and healthier!

2/1/18 @ 7:12 PM
Higgs
User since 1/14/13

My wife also got an air fryer. You are right on with the fish but the thicker the fillet the better. Try hassock or cod and you will find it to work out great. Wings were great and home fries are awesome. Also reheating fast food and fries and even the left overs from going out to eat work real good.  Glad we got it but get the bigger XL fryer. Reheats food great and makes them crispy 

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE