MORE
Panfish Fishing

Wax Worms vs. Earth Worms when Ice Fishing for Panfish

1/12/22 @ 8:15 AM
INITIAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm cheap.  I still had earth worms from the fall, so I've been chopping them up and using the bits for ice fishing.  They work surprisingly well.  I tried earth worms and wax worms at the same time while ice fishing to see if they are as good or better.

Results.  Wax worms still work better, but not by much. When both were down there at the same time, the fish tend to go for the wax worms.  However, the wax worms come off the hook much easier.

The earth worms still get bit pretty often, but not as much as wax worms.  They do stay on the hook and last longer.  They are a much cheaper option overall.

Here's the video where I tried them head to head.

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
1/14/22 @ 1:22 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I agree, stick to the plastics once you've learned how to use them.  No use for buying live bait!  For me I have a hybrid system. I like to find the fish first using live bait then if I'm catching them I'll switch over to plastics.

1/13/22 @ 7:58 AM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01

If you run into a Hot pod of fish,you could use plastics too.

They make some nice baits with scent.

Look into Customs Jig and Spins.

Edit: Why buy bait at all,once you get confidence in plastics?

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE