MORE
Panfish Fishing

River crappies

4/4/20 @ 1:20 PM
INITIAL POST
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02

Hey guys.  Recently caught a nice pile of crappies from a river system near me.  When cleaning them, i noticed the meat was very firm.  I usually dont fish for them because all the crappies i have ever caught prior had soft "mushy" meat and i didnt care for the texture.  I was thinking perhaps these river fish that have pushed up a long way from the lake they hang out in the rest of the year, have "toned up" (for lack of a better term).  Anyone else have any experience with this?  

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
4/12/20 @ 3:09 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Crappie are great, even from warm water. 

A quick tip that will firm them up, even is the dog days of summer. 

Once you have all of your fillets, put them in a bowl with a tablespoon or so of vinegar and water, mix the fillets around, and then rinse them well, and put them in a bowl full of water, and add a pinch of salt. Then add a bunch of ice, enough ice so that you can’t see the fillets. 

Then put them in the fridge overnight. The next day they will be good and firm. Works every time! 

4/4/20 @ 5:58 PM
Fishn Jimmy
Fishn Jimmy
User since 7/21/01

Winter and the cold water it brings.

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE