SEARCH
MORE
Panfish Fishing

Panfish size?

5/27/16 @ 11:23 AM
INITIAL POST
Animated1
User since 1/20/09

With the new regulations on some WI lakes, does anyone feel there should be a size limit? I have my personal sizes at 7.5" for bluegills in the winter and 8" in the summer. I ask because I have seen people with buckets of bluegills around 5" then brag about how they caught their limit without any mention of the size. As for crappie and perch, I usually aim for 9" or bigger. I also know it's everyone's right to keep what they think but I personally prefer quality over quantity.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 51 posts
9/23/23 @ 9:59 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
What size fish to keep for eating has been discussed on many forum topics here on Lake-Link. There is the argument that a fish is too small and not worthy of keeping as well as releasing the larger fish for spawning purposes. If you want to get picky about what to keep it has to be on a basis of the particular body of water you are fishing. Some lakes produce large numbers of fish with most being average size and some produce smaller numbers of fish that get to what is considered bigger size. Maybe more important than size is the numbers of fish kept. I see no issue with harvesting what you want, within the regulations, and then utilizing them for a meal as long as they don’t go to waste. Anglers fish for different reasons, some just for sport, relaxation or to get a meal or two. To each their own and worry more about yourself than what others do. 
9/23/23 @ 1:40 AM
jemstone90
jemstone90
User since 7/7/15
If you can't get decent fillets from the fish why keep them? I am not picking the meat from between the bones on pan fish! I can afford to buy groceries. Talk to someone that has got a fish bone stuck in their throat and you will understand why.
Panfish size? photo by jemstone90
9/22/23 @ 7:36 PM
redhook
User since 12/25/09
Fished wing dams today, sad to see guys filling their coolers with 5 and 6 inchers. Lots of small gills but they don't have much of a chance to reach decent size with all the I got my limit mind set I see on the river expecially in the winter here on the big muddy.
5/28/23 @ 3:56 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I don’t usually pan fish. But we got into some really big bluegills on a small lake the other day. Released them. These fish are very vulnerable right now. I would think a small lake could easily be affected this time of year with panfish harvest and a low keep limit could help. It was very easy to catch some really big panfish the other day for us-because of structure on this almost structure less lake.
It really took very little talent. They could see us, but they were feeding so heavily, we could take our pick. Literally. Just  my two cents here. Not really a pan fisherman. 

Looking to dig into more data?

Step up and unlock historical postings by upgrading to Lake-Link Pro for as little as $2.99!

More Info

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE