Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Panfish Limits Proposal

1/24/18 @ 1:28 PM
ORIGNAL POST
duxup
MEMBER since 8/5/05

Proposed change would be state wide at 10/day, and on selected lakes no more than 5 of one species (like some have it now). Possession limit 2x the daily bag limit.

I think it's time we sportspeople smarten up and start doing what's right for the resource. Don't give me the "I fish/hunt to feed my family" argument, because it does not fly when you figure in all your real costs. I also think the "I have to stock up" argument is lame. Just get out more. Unless you have a pile of kids, 20 fillets should provide most families a meal. If you have a pile of kids, you should be taking them along so you can keep more! You don't have to stop fishing, just stop keeping.

What do you think?

Duxup

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/28/18 @ 10:36 PM
duxup
MEMBER since 8/5/05

This is not an official proposal.....yet. It was posted here and other threads to create conversation, get people thinking, and get a feel for it's viability. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it may indeed be viable, and for the overall quality of responses. Only a couple got personal, implying they knew what kind of person I was, what I think and do, and that I was a "dumb-dumb"....so not too bad!

Yes, there is an ongoing study with these reg's, or similar to them, that we will have results on in a couple years. There is also an enlightening article in a recent WI Outdoor News addressing panfish harvest studies and debunking myths. Regardless of the results of the study, I feel this proposal is needed and would, overall, be beneficial to the resource. Yes, there would need to be lakes with even more refined rules. Yes, violators are still going to violate. Yes, there will still me many people that will have more than their possession limit in their freezers (and don't "feel" they are violators). BUT, if this helps limit the above, and have an overall positive effect on lakes and the resource, I think logical people will be for it.

Duxup

1/24/18 @ 10:42 PM
bushnellman
User since 1/24/02

there was an old timer telling me about catching crappies that covered the bottom of a five gallon bucket, he caught 5 or 6 (enough to eat) and left, then he saw a group of about 50 guys on same lake and all of them taking their limits (50 each at the time), this continued as did the catching of walleye, perch and muskie untill the lake was destroyed, out of balance, it has not recovered, that was 30 years ago. I loved fishing that lake, now i dont even bother..another DNR aqaurium that holds no spice!

I agree completely with your comments,but i dont think youre gonna get anybody with your common sense to help you out...I already limit my take!

rotate the years of fishing on lakes and let nature take the course, stop stocking fish in lakes that arent there originally

1/24/18 @ 6:24 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

He never said. He has posted the same thing in 3 or 4 different discussions.

1/24/18 @ 5:16 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Where did you see this, first I have heard.

Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.