SEARCH
MORE
Panfish Fishing

Mushy crappies when cooked

4/25/18 @ 6:01 PM
INITIAL POST
Rizzo22
User since 1/23/04

When I cook my crappies ,which I only keep from spring time fishing ,they turn out mushy.What I am I doing wrong.Any ideas out there?

Displaying 31 to 41 of 41 posts
4/26/18 @ 9:29 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I agree with what others have said, one other thing that helps firm them up in the fridge overnight is to put a layer of ice on top of the salt water.  It really helps.  

4/26/18 @ 5:33 PM
Rizzo22
User since 1/23/04

Awesome,thanks for the tips.

4/26/18 @ 3:23 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Yep like others have said, keep them cold and salt water.

4/26/18 @ 10:25 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Salt water or club soda will firm them up. In the rare instance that I'll keep a bass I always soak them in club soda overnight, firms them up and gets the fishiness out of them. Or just keep crappies in the winter, no problems then.

4/26/18 @ 8:27 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Fillet them as usual, but put the finished fillets in a mixture of water and a little salt.  Put them overnight in the fridge.  Rinse fillets in the morning, add more water, then keep them in there the rest of the day.  They should firm up nicely and be delicious!  
4/26/18 @ 6:41 AM
Rizzo22
User since 1/23/04

Thanks ,I will have to give those ideas a try.

4/25/18 @ 7:48 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

Crappie's are soft to begin with. I do not live well fish much anymore. I prefer to put them on ice in the boat. They will firm up some if you fillet them and then put them in a pot with cold water and leave them sit in the fridge over night. 

4/25/18 @ 7:16 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Maybe letting the fillets get too warm?  I only keep crappies in spring and late fall. I keep the fillets and the egg wash or batter ice cold prior to their insertion into 375 degree oil and they come out crispy and firm every time.

Displaying 31 to 41 of 41 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE