MORE
Panfish Fishing

Locating and Targeting Suspended Bluegills

9/16/19 @ 3:27 PM
INITIAL POST
mystery fish-n-sea
mystery fish-n-sea
User since 4/10/10

I haven't seen any threads relating to suspended bluegills, so I'll pop this video here - It's from a recent trip to Lake Monona with Fishlovme

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
12/12/19 @ 6:40 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I mainly fish Western Waukesha county lakes, and some of the biggest gills and perch are in 24 to 33 ft of water.  As said below they are on the bottom and will usually rise several feet to hit the bait. I use a Showdown which is good for locating fish a few inches above the weeds. 1/2 inch target separation,  so if you know how to read the screen well on zoom, you can tell they are there

12/11/19 @ 8:44 AM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

I fish a lake where I have caught bluegills at 45 feet of water.

They want a small presentation.

They reject line larger than 3 pound test.

They do not show up on the vexilar.  I suspend the bait around 6 feet off the bottom and the fish come up from the lake floor and take the bait.  Or reject it.

They are on the large side.  

There are never more than a few of them and they are slow to take the presentation.  So, it takes 10 minutes for them to come up off the bottom to examine the bait.  

9/16/19 @ 6:59 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Mysteryfish excellent topic! There was a thread similar to this in one of the forums. Can't remember where it was though.

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE