MORE
Panfish Fishing

hellgrammite

8/13/14 @ 10:06 PM
INITIAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Growing up in South Central PA, my dad, bro and I caught hellgrammites to use as fish bait, primarily for smallies in the local rivers. These larvae ranged in size from 1"-3" in length and had very sharp mandibles which could deliver a painful bite. They are the larval form of the dobsonfly which can exceed 4" in length and is quite an impressive bug. I've included pics of both larvae and the adult dobsonfly (on the right) for reference. Shortly after moving to WI I heard people mention using "hellgrammites" for gill fishing and after seeing them I was confused. After looking up the "bugs" that were being marketed as "hellgrammites" I realized that these were actually dragonfly/damselfly larvae. I have always wondered how these "bugs" got dubbed as "hellgrammites". Anyone have any idea when and why? I have enclosed a pic of both for comparison. The dragonfly larvae on the left, and a hellgrammite in the middle pic.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
5/12/22 @ 3:00 PM
betsoff
PRO MEMBER User since 7/6/05

eric is there someway we could get together and talk about these bugs

2/28/22 @ 9:57 PM
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

Those indentations in the mud that you speak of are actually the openings to deep burrows.  Maybe those openings tended to get covered with new silt where you were seeing them.

We used to harvest mayfly larvae (actually, the correct name in this case is "nymphs", but most people would not know what that means) for catching rainbow trout in Devil's Lake (Wisconsin), and found that the larger ones were much shallower in the mud than the smaller ones.  That was much earlier in the summer than what you describe.  Of course, there are many different species which could have different habits and life-cycle scheduling.  

And to go back to the original post, damselfly larvae are much different from dragonfly larvae (and here, the correct term also is "nymphs").  Damselfly larvae are slender and delicate (like adult damselflies), with a cluster of three gill "leaves" at the back end of the body.  They swim (only when they have to) with a side-to-side undulation (unlike the vertical undulations of mayfly nymphs).  

Is there an entomologist in the house?  Yes!

2/28/22 @ 9:27 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I used to get them in the FOX R below MUKWONAGO.    Get an old window screen and wade in calm mucky water using the screen to scoop up the muck.    Do this in late fall.   Lots of hard work and don’t get stuck in the muck.   Once you know what to look for it’s easier, the larvae are packed together and leave small indentations on the surface of the muck.    CARPIO 

2/18/22 @ 12:26 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20

In a creek.  

7/29/20 @ 1:16 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

All I ever use is a hook and split shot when I fish with them.  Catches me a lot of perch and bluegill love them too.

7/29/20 @ 7:27 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Can’t beat a gold hook & ss.  CARPIO 

7/29/20 @ 6:02 AM
GillpillZ
User since 12/7/10

How does everyone like to fish with helgramites? 

I was going to try them for the first time this weekend. I was going to use a small lindy rig or split shot with a gold hook.

6/16/20 @ 6:19 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Wigglers are the larvae form of the Hexagenia mayfly. They are deadly on a wide variety of fish. Hard to keep alive though. I used to use them ice fishing as they would swim around and attract fish so I could lay the rod down and wait for the bite. Made beer drinking that much easier.

6/16/20 @ 3:32 PM
Bruno1
User since 3/21/14

Some bait stores also sell a larvae colloquially known as "wigglers".  I think they emerge as a bug that looks like a smaller version of a dragon fly (that we used to call dnarning needles).  They were the absolute best bait for stocked trout in lakes - small hook small weight small bobber = trout.  They also worked well in streams for wild trout.  I suspect any larvae could work on smallmouths, trout, bluegills, and perch.  

Bruno

6/16/20 @ 2:03 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

If you can find them they are great,LongGreens,perch killers.SPIDERS also good.Pricy ,but you can pick your own if you have a strong back and learn where to dredge for them! Slow shallow creeks and ponds best!

6/16/20 @ 1:48 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

"thunder bugs" a local name---- plentiful around the Winnebago system and similar to a hellgrammite. Wonder if that's one of the bugs you guys are talking about? That's what it looks like picture on the right.

6/16/20 @ 11:40 AM
ducks
User since 2/17/11

Wing a ding. ..    l would love to learn a way to catch several perch on one bug....please inform me ...usually when using bugs , its one bite, and gone.!!    Please explain...Thanks

6/15/20 @ 4:21 PM
JustAPanda
User since 6/15/20

(in response to ifishwi)

a few years too late to the party here but the "long" one is from the family aeshnidae and the "spider" one is either corduliidae or libellulidae, most likely a corduliid but you can't actually distinguish them without a microscope & gathering some really obnoxious measurements

1/31/18 @ 3:22 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Add me to that list as well.

1/31/18 @ 2:46 PM
Wing-A-Ding
Wing-A-Ding
User since 1/8/02

You all are correct. I too have been raised with the Hellgrammite name also.

They are quite available in the summer by many bait stores, here is a few I know of:

http://harleysliquorandbait.com/

http://www.dornhardware.com/

https://www.dicksmithslivebait.com/

I found this video about a month ago it is very interesting. I have tried it myself with no luck yet. But I'm not giving up! A few of these would be great to have in the winter. If your worried about the cost, I could show you a way to catch 25 Perch with 1 Hellgrammite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT_SG4LpYjM

Good luck,

Wing-A-Ding

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE