Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Dropshot for panfish

6/24/17 @ 7:59 PM
ORIGNAL POST
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

Latley I've been addicted to using a dropshot rig for panfish...anyone else doing this?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/13/20 @ 7:56 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

A lot of the drop shot fishing I do is along weed edges or up on clean flats in 9-18 fow. I make long casts and drag the rig back. Along the way, the weight may pick up a stray weed or two, but the hook and bait/plastic stay relatively clean. As mentioned, it is dynamite for finding active pods of bluegills along edges or on large flats. Then I usually throw out a marker or plug it in on the GPS. Once I've located the pods I'll hang one over the side and fish floats. My favorite plastics are Gulp 1" minnow and Berkley Honey Worms in red.

1/22/20 @ 5:21 PM
monasark
Jory Simmons
MEMBER since 11/3/02

I use a scaled down version dropshot for gills on Geneva,Delavan and Mendota...hook at least 2 ft up from weight...I catch the biggest Gills with this method ....probably because it gets the bait down in the weeds...Pulled this 11" gill out of thick weeds in 11 ft. on a dead calm august Day in 2018

Monas Ark Guide Service
(262) 203-6196
1/11/20 @ 8:08 AM
ezturn
User since 9/4/12

I have been using the drop shot for quite a while and love it . For Walleyes in the winter I use a stand off hook about 8in off the bottom. Open water for Walleyes I will use a 1/16  or 1/8 jig and a large split shot and either cast out or bounce along the bottom works great. If you do get snagged the split hot will slide off saving the jig. I have caught suspended Bluegills and Crappies up to 5 ft off the bottom. I believe it gives the Minnows a different action and works great with plastics also.

1/10/20 @ 1:22 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Two dropshot videos fishing for panfish below, they give you a good idea of how well these work.

330 MaNiaC - Dropshot Fishing For Panfish (Big Bluegills)

DWS Outdoors - Catching Yellow Bass Using A Dropshot

For years I used a hook and small split shot and have caught numerous fish using this method (and I still do, for that matter).  The problem is I mostly catch the fish that are right on the bottom.  The suspended, more active fish I miss out on.  A dropshot takes care of this and is a great way to cover more water in a hurry to find active feeding fish.

1/9/20 @ 4:58 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I haven’t really tried the dropshot method for any fish. My take on the dropshot method is it is a fast way to cover water in search of very active fish. Most often fish are in a neutral or negative mood and need some amount of finesse to get them to bite. Dropshoting doesn’t provide that finesse that I can see. As I mentioned earlier there may be limited windows of opportunity where it does work for panfish. A quick edit to my post. When fishing whitefish on Green Bay I use a jigging rap or a jig of some type on the end of my line with a hook tied in about 12” above. That I guess does meet the definition of a dropshot. 

1/9/20 @ 3:31 PM
Drahts
User since 9/8/17

What advantage is this over simply vertical jigging or fishing with a float hook of some type with a slip sinker?

1/6/20 @ 11:48 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

I've been addicted for many years and children who fish in my boat become addicted too.

Bchi asked what a drop shot rig is. Sinker on the bottom and a hook tied with a palomar knot a prescribed distance just above the weight. Pretty simple and effective rig on the ice or open water while anchored.

8/7/17 @ 1:29 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

a good technique is to drop shot for bass and when the gills start hitting that, you know you found biggin's 

8/6/17 @ 6:18 PM
boattech
User since 12/22/04

I drop shot all the time for perch.  Seems like they always come in when the bottom is getting stirred up. My hook is 2" off the bottom so I know I am always in the strike zone.

7/29/17 @ 9:17 AM
Bchisxyz
User since 7/29/17

New too this, what's a drop shot?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.