jaybeeturtle
USER SINCE 3/17/06

Vmc and Maki are my favorites

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

3/1/21 @ 8:43 PM
Tim Zwieg
USER SINCE 1/10/12

Timely post form me.  This past weekend I found some plastics that I really liked.  Today I went out and bought more Maki plastics.

1/24/21 @ 5:38 AM
Phat Walleyes
Phat Walleyes
USER SINCE 3/31/15

Try anything that might work...

(that's the beat part of ice fishing)

It's so easy to do that... 

1/24/21 @ 5:07 AM
Grendel6.5
USER SINCE 9/17/17

Has anyone ever tried shaving down plastic worms or bass tubes for ice fishing plastics..sort of utilizing used plastics.

1/23/21 @ 12:11 PM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
USER SINCE 3/14/06

Nice limit of gills and crappies a week or two ago on this setup! 

1/4/19 @ 12:01 PM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

Man!  PURIST.   A black plastic, barbless bait:  really brings back memories of ice fishing for crappies back in the WINNISHEK slough.2 foot of water and you never had to take your gloves off.       CARPIO 

1/4/19 @ 8:15 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

Good point on the spoons. I'm not a fan of plastics on spoons but the concept makes sense.

Rocker jigs - with this tungsten craze I've completely forgot about those. I don't think I even own any. That's all we used at a kid. Gonna have to raid my old man's stash next time I visit.

1/2/19 @ 5:59 PM
perch chaser
USER SINCE 2/6/03

Not glamorous but the purist a combination spoon/plastic that hangs vertically and has been around forever. Great when the sun is out, and the daphnia are up in the water column and gills are picky. Has its limitations however, light as a feather the drop is slower then a moving snail. Not suited for windy days and deep water, adding weight defeats the purpose. Unfortunately the smallest size made now is #12. If you're lucky enough to have some of the old #14/16 , they can be real gill killers. 

1/2/19 @ 3:56 PM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

Vertical jigs work well too. For crappies tts hard to beat a black rocker with  white dot paired with a THIN piece of black plastic 3/4” long. Use a sloooow drop. I always use a rocker with a gold or brass back.I don’t even own rockers with silver backs.    CARPIO 

1/2/19 @ 9:03 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
USER SINCE 12/19/11

When you guys fish plastics, you fish strictly a horizontal presentation or do you change it up based on the plastic? My tungsten are primarily horizontal jigs, but I've been experimenting more with different jig styles that don't always sit horizontal or can be adjusted if wanted. I know horizontal is typically the norm for plastics but I never used to worry about jig position when I was using waxies or spikes...

Haven't found a brand I'm 100% set on, but I've been liking the Clam maki series of plastics this season so far. Anything in natural colors. Picked up some Eurotackle y-fry and eurogrub the other day, think they're gonna work well but haven't given them a try yet.

12/8/18 @ 5:58 PM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

Save your money !   I use plain colored .060 dia. rubber bands! Round is best.  ( lake fly larvae?)  hook a 1/2” piece through the center on  1/100 oz. horizontal jig.  It’s difficult to find colored,round rubber bands though.     You can also add a scent.      Works for me! CARPIO 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
Advertise here
Minn Kota Ultra: Proven in the real world. Year after year. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Ultrex
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.