Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Your thoughts on 9 ft rods.....

6/12/18 @ 5:46 PM
ORIGNAL POST
smithmerlin
User since 1/20/13

when it comes to anything over 8 ft do you prefer one piece rods over the two piece rods?  Could you also state why you prefer one over the other?  Thank you,

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 8:29 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

Just a follow up from my post from a month ago.  I fished a week on Eagle Lake with my 9'3" Okuma.  It is a lot of rod, my 7' St Croix Premier that I use for jerks felt like a toy when I picked it up after using the Okuma.  The rod itself performed well and I'm glad I purchased it and would do so again.  The fore grip is big, I assume to allow the rod to telescope. I could see the grip being issue if you have Trump hands, and the bulkiness of the rod could cause fatigue issues.  

TODAY @ 4:26 AM
jkb
User since 6/25/02

One thing to consider when using a 9 foot rod if you are fishing alone is that is difficult to net the fish by yourself.  When fishing solo, you need to pull the rod back and behind your head to draw the fish close enough to net with the other hand.  It is a long reach with the net hand.  I purposely have a lighter weight net so I can maneuver it with one hand but it is still difficult.

9/18/19 @ 4:30 PM
icebelt
User since 10/22/13

The 9 is to much for me I still use a 6 ft broom stick that I got in the 70’s it still smokes the musky. I also have two 7’2” Avids that I like.

8/15/19 @ 6:46 PM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

Just received my Okuma 9'3" heavy action rated for 50-100lb test and 2-10oz lures and cant wait to fish it!  I strapped my Revo Beast on it and tossed a 2 oz glide bait around the the yard.  Unbelievable how far you can cast and the power seems just right.  I plan to fish bucktails, topwater and rubber with it.  I'm not a big fan of overly stiff rods IMO with no stretch braid you need a rod with some give when fighting a decent fish. 

8/13/19 @ 4:53 PM
Thevdim
User since 6/9/15

Personally, I prefer a one-piece rod. And that goes to any rods under or over 9ft. The top 3 main reasons are because:

1. So the removal top piece doesn't fly away when casting.

2. So when reeling in or casting, the top piece doesn't twist causing line to be all funky.

3. So when reeling in a bigger fish, the top piece doesn't automatically spins the other way.

7/25/19 @ 11:25 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Okuma makes some nice 9' rods that are telescoping and are very reasonably priced with lifetime warranty's.

9/13/18 @ 1:29 PM
garyq
MEMBER since 4/1/10

I have had both 2 piece and 1 piece and only own 1 piece rods now  15 of them!  I have a problem I KNOW!  But my thought is the longer the better but that all depends on the baits you want to throw with each rod and how tall you are etc.  I am only 5' 10" so the longest I own is 9.0" Most of mine are 8'6" and I have two for my shums, glide baits, that are 7'6" as me being shorter those types of baits for ME are easier to work with a shorter rod

Hope this helps

8/20/18 @ 9:07 PM
Nick Schumacher
Nick Schumacher
User since 1/10/05

Smithmerlin,

We have a couple of rods over eight feet long. One is a telescoping rod, and the other is a traditional one-piece rod. Both work very well and there's been no difference so far. One word of warning with the telescoping rod, though - it may "jam" or become extremely difficult to separate once it's set in place. Make sure to line up the guides/eyes as perfectly as you can with the reel since the two pieces of the rod can rotate.

8/19/18 @ 7:26 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

9 footer will sling a lure farther. Will handle blades easily. I use a South Bend Coho pole and am satisfied. It takes more to satisfy guys that know more than I because I am self taught. A lot of times what you learn on handles the best in your own mind. If that makes sense. Ur reel is very important too. I have a massive Open end reel, vice a bait caster. 

6/19/18 @ 9:48 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

I have a 7.5 Mojo Musky that I throw everything with. Works great with the glides. I really wish I had a 9 footer to throw blades. I will probably be adding that setup soon. I don't like 2 piece rods. I had one a few years back that wore out and wouldn't hold position. I only use 1 piece now. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.