LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Musky Fishing

What temp is too hot to target Muskies in?

8/20/21 @ 2:21 PM
INITIAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

When is it too hot to target muskies (water or air temperature)?  I was thinking of trying for them, but I've seen people say it is too hot if you plan on catch and release for a muskie.  Should I wait until mid-september when the weather and water temps are cooler?  Is there a number I should wait for it to drop below?

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
9/3/21 @ 8:19 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

As stated below, 80 degrees is the accepted number.

For me personally?  78 is when I shut it down.  That's when I've noticed that fish have a harder time being released.  Last 5 years or so, when the water gets around 78, I water release my fish.  I do not net them, nor do I take them out of the water.

I've spent too much time babysitting fish, taking them to shaded, cool water and sitting there waiting for them to get enough strength to be released.  It's just not worth it to me.

8/20/21 @ 3:01 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08

Anything over 80 degrees is generally considered too hot. Any time it's above 75 extra caution should be used when handling them as they are even less durable than normal.

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE