Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Used Muskie boats

4/2/18 @ 7:56 PM
ORIGNAL POST
smithmerlin
User since 1/20/13

I'm looking for a 10-20 year old aluminum boat for muskie fishing.  I would be fishing alone for the most part, and I have a big concern about working over the side of the boat handling a muskie and getting it released as healthy and as quickly as possible.  I currently use an old 14ft Lund and it's a little cramped, and would like to move up to a 16-17 footer.

If I were a young pup I wouldn't be concerned about how easy it is to work over the side...  But since I'm sort of an old fat fart I must deal issues that don't concern the younger folks.

Thank you for your time, and I would be very grateful for your thoughts and suggestions...

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/20/18 @ 7:51 PM
Rocky2
User since 4/8/13

I have an 18 ft Lund Alaskan. They also make a 16 ft. model. Doesn't have a raised front deck, so you have a nice open cockpit intmhe front end to work with. I actually now prefer being lower to the water. Makes for easier figure eights and netting. 

4/3/18 @ 6:45 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

I have a 17ft Tracker Targa that has side rod lockers you can sit on while working a fish on the side of boat.  It has a 94" beam so it is wider than most 17 foot boats and more stable in waves.   The rod lockers actually open to an unused area behind the front live well, so you can fit a rod of almost any length in them.   Longest I have stored is 8'6".   

There are lots of things I like about the boat and things I dont.  I think the key if you decide to get a used one is find someone who spent the last 10 years "upgrading" components of the boat.     

4/3/18 @ 4:37 AM
MuskyManiac5
MuskyManiac5
User since 4/20/07

I have an Alumacraft Classic 165 CS, and I bought it for that reason.  I'm a musky fisherman who fishes alone, and on my boat are two rod lockers that run along each side.  I can easily sit on them and with a little body twist work on a fish in the landing net.  Also if I chose to stand I can place one knee on that locker to work the fish.  I love my boat, as it works best for me.

4/2/18 @ 8:21 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
User since 12/9/08

smithmerlin,

2 aluminum boats that come to mind are the Alumacraft Classic Deluxe or the Dominator.  Both have lower overall side height than the newer, deeper aluminum models.  In addition, I see these for sale used quite often.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.