SEARCH
MORE
Musky Fishing

Trophy muskie

8/31/19 @ 11:54 AM
INITIAL POST
The Muskie Kid
PRO MEMBER User since 12/11/02

Hey guys, Q:  If you had one spot to try for a trophy muskie on Lake Namakagon, Cable, Wis, in mid-Oct., where would it be and why?  Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
2/14/23 @ 9:57 PM
antler junkie
User since 8/17/05

Wow !! Ron Hedsand of Sturgeon Bay caught & released this monster Muskie in the Bay of Green Bay on 12-7-22. The huge fish measured 55” long and had a girth of 29.5” and is estimated to be about 60 lbs.

Trophy muskie photo by antler junkie
11/4/22 @ 3:22 PM
antler junkie
User since 8/17/05

This Muskie was just certified by the Minnesota DNR as the new catch & release record. The giant was caught in Lake Mille Lacs on June 11 and measured in at 58.25” and beat the old record by 1”.

Trophy muskie photo by antler junkie
11/28/21 @ 1:17 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

New Muskie record in minnesota?

7/7/21 @ 11:06 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

I wonder how that trip went for the guy who originally posted those questions about Namekagon 23 months ago. 

7/7/21 @ 10:59 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I do not know that lake.  Never fished it.  But...I'd be using suckers.  Big suckers.  17-18 inchers.  Quick strike rigs.

I'd look at a map and find the deepest water next to the best weeds on the lake.  And by best, I mean green.  

I'd move slowly along that weed edge and then bounce to deep water and watch my graph.

Maybe I'd cast the weeds with a large jerk bait or bulldog, but I'd always have suckers under the boat, below where you can see them, if not on the bottom.

Deep water I'd have two about two feet off the bottom and a third probably on a slip bobber half way down the water column.

And I'd be looking hard to find some wood in that deep water that is close to the weeds.  

7/5/21 @ 5:10 AM
Paranoid Percher
User since 8/19/18

Go to Green Bay plenty over 50s

7/4/21 @ 9:49 AM
Quackshot
Quackshot
User since 1/16/11

Unfortunately Wisconsin does not have the genetics to produce many 50" fish. Additionally most WI lake do not have the forage base to grow a 50" fish. Basically WI is a numbers game with mid 40" fish being the best the state has to offer. That not to say a few 50's do show up but they are extremely rare. If your goal is a 50" fish go to Green Bay, St Clair or Minnesota but be prepared to fish community spots. 

That being said I live in MN but fish mostly Wisconsin. Many lake to choose from, great scenery and in most situations I don't have to compete for spots.

7/4/21 @ 9:19 AM
4/17/20 @ 10:42 AM
Esox JJ
PRO MEMBER User since 6/4/05

Muskie kid, I thought I would check this lake out. So I got out my Sportsman's fishing map guide. Here is what it say's. You might have to try all four basins to see which one is producing best. For Muskies, try the rock bars scattered throughout the lake, and weedlines at 8 to 10 feet.  Bucktails and big crankbaits should get some action.  And you can use jerkbaits in the weedy southeast bay of Upper Lake. The water here is stained, so you might want to use brighter colors. Also, in October after turnover, muskies move to rocks. Try jerkbaits and quick set rigs with suckers. All these quotes are from Bruce Shumway. After checking out the lake map it looks like there is a lot of water to cover. Cast, cast, cast !!! Good luck. JJ  

4/17/20 @ 6:46 AM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

There are great books out there by legends, resources like never before on the internet and lake mapping that is unbelievable.  Find the food chain using these resources.

4/16/20 @ 4:22 PM
Esox JJ
PRO MEMBER User since 6/4/05

20 yards left of the big rock with the tall pine tree next to it. Okay on a serious note. I've read muskie books. I've been to the muskie hunter school in St. Germain. Some of the things I've heard throughout my years from the seminars is this. Fish windblown shorelines, fish the weeds, fish the rocks, crank your baits fast, crank your baits slow, don't forget to figure eight after each cast, and there is much more. Get a good lake map and decide for yourself where to start. Then cast, cast, cast.

4/16/20 @ 12:19 PM
fishless123
User since 9/5/14

nobody wants to give away their best spot?? how rude

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE