SEARCH
MORE
Musky Fishing

Spinning tackle for muskys?

3/20/23 @ 6:34 PM
INITIAL POST
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I've tried using bait casting gear, but deal with too much backlashes. 

Does anyone use spinning gear? If so, what do you use?

Big Mac 

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
3/22/23 @ 3:12 PM
chaw
chaw
PRO MEMBER User since 9/11/02
Big Mac you have mail 
3/21/23 @ 9:56 PM
JDs Customs
User since 9/16/20
I believe tackle industries has med/ heavy spinning rods for sale. Or there are several rod builders that can build you one. You should be able to get away with a 40 lb braid, or a 20-25 lb mono.
Small size Mepps
bucktails with #5 or 6 French blades or willows, top water such as a bass size flaptail, or a topper stopper type prop bait, jig-n- creature for plastics, and a 7” slammer should get U in the Game. As far as reels, get some recommendations from some experienced bait shops like R&R. Probably a Penn R popular in Salt water applications. 
JD
3/21/23 @ 3:27 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02
Thanks for the advice!
Big Mac 
3/21/23 @ 12:06 PM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01
I tried, but the pressure on your finger when casting 1oz+ baits is tremendous, I would not recommend, except maybe for smaller than 1oz or so.

You will rip your finger-tip off trying to cast a Suick.

In salt water, they are either jigging, or trolling, with spinning gear.
3/20/23 @ 11:06 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02
I would like to get a Musky outfit + 6 lures.
Bucktails, surface blade, plastic,  suick, shallow runner. 
Big Mac 
3/20/23 @ 10:56 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02
Thanks Bro!
 Bait casters have improved since my last one.
Big Mac 
3/20/23 @ 8:01 PM
chaw
chaw
PRO MEMBER User since 9/11/02
I’ve used heavy spinning tackle in Spring. There are people using spinning tackle in the ocean for much larger fish so it can definitely be done. 

You shouldn’t have such a big problem with backlashes Big Mac. Something in your cast control isn’t set right. I have no doubt you can get used to using a good bait caster. 

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE