SEARCH
MORE
Musky Fishing

Shimano Tranx 400 reel

2/18/21 @ 7:31 PM
INITIAL POST
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

I would like to get the shimano tranx 400 reel, left hand with the 5.8:1 ratio. im going to use 80 lb braid on it and throw mostly bucktails, a spinner bait or two and once in a while a top water bait. The problem is right now nobody has that reel in stock. What is the main difference between the 300 and the 400 series ? I do have some time, a few months at least, but time goes by quick. I go musky fishing about 6 times a year presently, but who knows what the future holds. Opinions on either reel is appreciated. TIA

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
3/1/21 @ 7:50 AM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

Pulled the rigger on a TRX401A, left hand retrieve, 5:8-1 ratio.

These things are hard top find, even online, everyone was out of stock on them.

This reel should do nicely for the amount of musky fishing I do, but i think I'll be doing more this year.

Thanks for all of the help guys. 

2/23/21 @ 9:13 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

If you are looking for an all around go-to reel, get the Tranx 400 ahg.  My wife has one and it is great.  Put the power handle on it and it will handle your double 10's just fine.  It's actually worth waiting for...when trying to buy one.  

Tranx is very smooth and easy to cast.

Personally, I prefer my Beast high speed, but that 400 ahg is a really good reel, too.

I think the 300 is a little small for muskies, but that is just an opinion, I've never casted one or used one.  

And the 500 PG is too big.  It has just too much weight on it for my liking.  I had one for a year and sold it.

2/19/21 @ 2:17 PM
chrome-dome
chrome-dome
User since 4/4/13

You can get a 300 as long as your not doing double tens or large rubber. Smaller to palm the reel and I use mine for 6-9” cranks, double 8s and spinner baits. 90% of the lures I throw  

I use my 400 for all purpose but on a 9’3” rod to balance things out.  A little big in the hand though. 

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE