LOGIN
Lake-Link

River Muskie Fishing

3/28/15 @ 6:07 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Rendy
Rendy
User since 3/28/15
Hi everyone, new to the sight and have a question about fishing small rivers for muskie. im not actually from Wisconsin, but actually south western Ontario. in my town, there happens to be a river that runs through that use to have a strong muskie population (supposedly). no one fishes/targets them there anymore.

characteristics of the river appear to be similar to your rivers according to youtube and google. it has deep secion up to 13-18 FOW on outside bends, plenty of downed shoreline trees, further up river it narrows and there are rapid sections that range from 1-3 FOW with channels about 4-5 FOW and wholes that tap out around 6-8 FOW.

the river has a strong population of suckers and a decent population of walleye in the spring with sheephead in the summer.

my question is; where(as in characteristics of location), how, and what do you guys do to catch them in rivers?

i know this is a lot of information to share with a stranger but i'm just trying to gain as much info as possible on small river fishing so i can try and apply it to my area/region. any and all help/tips are greatly appreciated. (for those who prefer to not share over a forum my email is: 123muskie456@gmail.com) again thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/30/15 @ 11:46 AM
Rendy
Rendy
User since 3/28/15
Mr. Schumacher,

thanks for the advice. that is something that i have been doing for an extensive amount of time but as far as small river muskie fishing goes there is very minimal information. i have watched many youtube videos as well on it. my guess is is all of them by now lol. my goal on here is to get direct advice and tips from you guys who are experiencing it first hand and have personal experience and knowledge on the topic. much of what youtube shows is only what they use to catch them and vague characteristics of the area they are fishing. my goal is to to be able to paint a picture and a game plan for this up coming season without going in blind as i've never targeted river muskie before.

but again, thanks for the advice sir, i will be sure to keep looking.

3/30/15 @ 11:14 AM
Nick Schumacher
Nick Schumacher
User since 1/10/05
Hey Rendy.

As you may already know, rivers are probably the most underutilized musky waters out there. Same goes for various other fish species. There are different ways to target and catch muskies in river systems depending on the size, depth, and speed of the river. I recommend doing some homework online. There are a bunch of great YouTube videos on the subject if you just go there and do a search. There's also a lot of general reading that's very practical.

3/29/15 @ 4:40 PM
Rendy
Rendy
User since 3/28/15
thanks, email replied to

3/29/15 @ 12:33 PM
reefhawg
reefhawg
User since 1/23/10
check your email.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.