SEARCH
MORE
Musky Fishing

Replacement setup recommendation

9/18/20 @ 3:51 PM
INITIAL POST
Derelict2
User since 8/12/05

I had a bit of a, well, "run in" with a big rock in some fast water last weekend in my kayak. While the incident could have been much worse, a storied and long lived musky setup of mine was lost and was the only major casualty other than my pride :(

First things first - never get complacent with mother nature. Not saying I was complacent, but I chose a bad line in some pretty thick rapids, and one of my favorite Rivers in the world, despite the multitude of great times on it, quickly reminded me who was boss. 

Experiences like this are how we constantly learn and improve to reduce risk of bad events in the future. I had went a solid eight or nine years without a "river incident of note". Alas, live and learn!

Unfortunately I lost a reel and rod that simply aren't made any more. The rod was a St. Croix premier circa 2007, but it was a 6'2" extra heavy power. Just a phenomenal, short, river Musky rod. The giant lure, giant reel, giant musky boat revolution of the last ten years appears to have made that rod irrelevant. It's unfortunate because short rods like that are great for canoe or kayak fishing in tight rivers.

The reel on it was an Abu Garcia Record...also no longer available! The problem is I can't find the modern day equivalent of a Record. Am I just supposed to go with an Abu STX? 

I know I could go with a C4 but I don't need the retrieve rate. Is there not a thumb bar release Abu Garcia in standard gearing for Muskie fishing these day?

That "beast" real is just not what I need. I mainly Musky fish on Rivers out of a small craft, or use my musky rod to troll medium baits for pike on inland lakes.

Bottom line, looking for suggestions on my new rig! No interest in some giant eight foot rod or winch style reel. Prefer St. Croix for Rod and Abu for reels, but would consider G Loomis or equivalent for the rod. EDIT jeez doesn't even look like G Loomis makes Muskie rods anymore...

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
9/29/20 @ 11:36 AM
Derelict2
User since 8/12/05

Ah excellent tip @BigMusky.

@2Catch1 - I like the idea of that option and I will email if I have any questions.

9/26/20 @ 10:43 PM
Derelict2
User since 8/12/05

@E-Tec 1 

Uhhh, well, at a minimum I'll meet you for a beer and we can talk ETEC's (we own a 2016 65 horse, quite upset they decided to shut em down...) and Musky rod's?

I would gladly accept this setup, But, only if there was some good story telling etc... (no no, I'll take it!!)

I live two miles south of Big C - could meet anywhere in the Area.

9/25/20 @ 1:08 PM
E-Tec 1
PRO MEMBER User since 6/27/10

I have a HI Tech heavy rod 6'6" with a Daiwa Millionaire II 5.2:1 you ncan have free if you want we will be down by West Bend on October 1 st

9/22/20 @ 3:50 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08

Yes, the winch does have a clicker as does the NaCl. The newer revos don't which is pretty silly in my book.

9/22/20 @ 8:39 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

If you are looking for a shorter stick that is stout, check out the Shimano Compre rods.  I got one for my wife when she was starting out.  I think it cost like $90.  XH.  I think it is a 7.5 footer.

It casts great, lots of backbone.  She upgraded herself to a 9 foot Elk River, which is just an amazing rod, but that Compre is still in the boat and used as a jerk bait rod.  It is solid and worth a look.

I'm partial to Elk River and St. Croix myself, but there is nothing wrong with a Compre.

9/21/20 @ 7:43 PM
Derelict2
User since 8/12/05

Yes, clicker very important!

Does the Revo winch have a clicker?

9/21/20 @ 4:55 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08

Even on the premiers it's going to be hard to find a better warranty with another company. To my knowledge Shimano, Okuma, and Diawa rods are all a one year warranty these days plus the premier is American made. How important is a clicker for running suckers to you? You might be able to snag one of the old revo models like the NaCl that have a clicker.

9/21/20 @ 11:34 AM
Derelict2
User since 8/12/05
I have been using St. Croix premier's for years and most likely will continue to. The rod I lost was a Premiere.

The main thing that bothers me is you just can't get a short and stout rod anymore (low six feet). I most likely will go with a St.Croix Premiere in the 6'10" to 7" range.

Appreciate all the suggestions so far.

9/21/20 @ 8:22 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Tranx is overkill for that setup, IMHO.  And I'm not sure if the 400 Tranx models have a "clicker" for trolling or things like that.  

For your setup, I'd look hard at a Shimano Calcutta 400B reel.  It's a large reel, but the speed is about 5.0 to 1.  Nice speed, not too fast, not too slow.  That reel has a clicker.  You can pick them up used for like $150, new around $225.  I have 5, they are bullet proof reels.

I'd check them out and simply pair them with a good 7 foot or 7.5 foot rod.  Pick them up, check out the tip and make sure it has the flex that you want and go to work.

I'm not a fan of Tackle Industries rods, but I'll bet you'd find an action and rod length you like.  To each their own.

Okuma will have a nice rod for you.  If you want length, look at their telescoping rods.  I have them, and they are nice, especially for traveling.  They have non telescoping rods, too.

I'd probably steer you away from St. Croix, due to cost and warranty.  Their premier series is probably what you want, but the warranty won't be as good as their high end rods.  But if you want a good one for your application, check out "The Jerk".  I think it is 7 foot, or 7 foot 2.  Great tip and backbone, with some flex.  But, it'll be expensive.

9/20/20 @ 4:05 PM
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19

check out Tackle industries rods or chaos tackle rods. the 400 tranx is your go to reel as well.

9/20/20 @ 11:35 AM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08

Seven foot Medium Heavy premier muskie paired with a Tranx 400 is hard to beat for that type of fishing.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE