MORE
Musky Fishing

New Net Recommendations

5/22/23 @ 7:17 AM
INITIAL POST
chaw
chaw
PRO MEMBER User since 9/11/02

It’s been a very long time since I bought a new net. I’m looking for something that is easy on the fins, can be used alone, and has plenty of room. What are the nets on the market that you would recommend?

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
5/24/23 @ 7:29 AM
Joe D
Joe D
PRO MEMBER User since 3/21/05
Simple…..Ego S2 Slider Net. Hands down the best net I have ever owned

https://www.egofishing.com/collections/s2-slider-nets">https://www.egofishing.com/collections/s2-slider-nets
5/23/23 @ 9:21 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
How's that Ranger musky net?  I bought a walleye one, used it once and left it at the boat launch because I hated it so much.  That netting was simply awful on treble hooks when netting a trolling fish.  Hooks would go through that rubber and into the real netting and become next to impossible to get out.  Had to cut out hooks out most every time.
I went to a Beckman net for walleyes and have had zero issues since.
Curious if that Ranger musky net is any better than their walleye one.
And from what I've seen, that rubber coated netting isn't just a Ranger net thing, I've seen it on Beckman's, too.  So I just steer clear of that stuff.
5/22/23 @ 7:01 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05
I use all-rubber nets now. Easy on fins, easy to get hooks out of and just all-around better for the fish, reduces slime layer damage, etc. I have a couple: one Frabill Sportsman 17" diameter x 9" deep net with a 36" handle for panfish and a 23" x 16" deep net for bass/walleye. For muskies I have a Ranger 9877FB, which has the deep, flat-bottom bag with small holes so fins don't get ripped. An all-rubber net of this size would weigh a TON, so it is rubber-coated mesh, but nonetheless it is not terrible to get hooks out of. I like this net because you can leave the fish in the net, in the water, and put the net handle under your arm or between your legs while you remove hooks. This limits handling and keeps the fish in the water to recover while you remove hooks and prepare for a couple photos before release. Smaller fish can be unhooked and released directly from the net. Win-win for you and the fish!

ETA: I also recently forgot my net on a trip that was a 2.5 hour drive, so I stopped at WalMart and bought an Ozark Trail rubber telescoping handle net for $25. I haven't used it much, but I like that it has an aluminum yoke where the handle telescopes versus plastic. I'm not wild about the fluorescent orange rubber net, as it is like waving a giant flag that catches nearby anglers' attention, but the quality of the net itself seems just as good as the Frabill. I also like the more rectangular hoop, which would allow it to be used for slightly longer fish than my Frabill panfish net.
5/22/23 @ 5:27 PM
chaw
chaw
Thank you both very much for your input. I was at a few different places today. Have one more stop tomorrow before I pull the trigger. Thanks again. 
5/22/23 @ 10:22 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17
Chaw when fishing by myself I have it unfolded and the handle out with it over top of the rear chair.  Space isnt really an issue when I'm solo, and this keeps it out of the floor so I'm not tripping on it.  The the hoop and the handle are aluminum so not terribly heavy,  but its bulky enough that I wouldn't want to try solo netting with their bigger 116 model.  
5/22/23 @ 8:59 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
I still like my Frabill Conservation Series net.  Handle collapses nicely.  I can open it with one hand by stepping on the hoop and pulling.  And it's lightweight to net muskies solo.

I've held the RS Nets Solo Slimer.  Man, I don't know how people use that net.  Steel handle that doesn't collapse and the net itself is just really heavy.  

If I were you, I'd go to a few different shops and just hold the nets and see what you like.  Maybe RS is for you.  Maybe Frabill.  Maybe Beckman or Drifter.

I did put a Beckman Finsaver bag onto my Frabill frame years ago.  It has held up well.
5/22/23 @ 8:47 AM
chaw
chaw
Is it user friendly for fishing alone GOP?
5/22/23 @ 8:39 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17
I love my Stowmaster TS94 with the heavy net, very well made and its plenty big.  I've had fish up to 48" in it and it would easily handle a 54"er. 
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE