SEARCH
MORE
Musky Fishing

Musky Trolling Vilas and Oneida Counties

8/9/22 @ 12:14 PM
INITIAL POST
duxup
User since 8/5/05

Anybody have any thoughts on a regulation change allowing 2-rods per person maximum three rods per boat?

This would keep the max rods per boat the same at 3, but allow a single fisherman 2 rods and two fishermen 3 rods.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
8/19/22 @ 4:37 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Totally agree with nihsif one line per person in the boat. Besides the Mississippi l only fish Minnesota lakes and yes there is a difference and the all the people fishing MN lakes don't have a problem with the one rod rule cause there use to it and in the end makes sense for all species of fish. Let's say your by yourself and trolling 2 rods and you get fish on both rods well while you reel in one rod the fish on the other rod is probably already swallowed the hook see the difference.

8/19/22 @ 8:49 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I'd like to see the 1 rod be statewide... 1 rod for everything like Minnesota does... my opinion

8/18/22 @ 1:48 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

Row troll

8/18/22 @ 11:19 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Any way to open-up more rods for people trolling for other species, yet maintain the 3 rod per boat limit for musky fisherman? Something like "when trolling with lures or baits in excess of 5 inches from eye to hook, or in excess of 3 mph, you're limited to 3 lines per boat."?

I understand why it's done to protect musky, but why is a person trolling 0.9 mph for walleye with harnesses with #4 hooks and a crawler limited one rod? Seems ridiculous. A family of six people on a pontoon trolling #0 Mepps on 6 lb line for bluegill are limited to 3 rods (half a rod per person), just dumb. 

8/17/22 @ 12:30 PM
Wright6
User since 2/5/14

I think they need to revisit trolling all together in Northern WI.  I'm not Oneida or Vilas, but am in Sawyer.  Lots of fish have been floating each summer since trolling opened up from guys ripping fish up off the thermocline at 4mph.  Just plain shouldn't be happening during peak summer months.  Is it effective?  Absolutely, but fish are dying because of it.

I have nothing against guys dragging a sucker or multiple suckers with the aid of a trolling motor.  Completely different scenario.  

8/9/22 @ 12:30 PM
duxup
User since 8/5/05

This would also address the enforcement issue of running two suckers and using a trolling motor. The issue being are you trolling or maintaining position..... ?

8/9/22 @ 12:25 PM
duxup
User since 8/5/05

Yes, row trolling is an answer except I don't want to add ANOTHER boat to the current fleet.

Duxup

8/9/22 @ 12:23 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Just row troll...problem solved.

I'm totally opposed to any expansion of trolling in Vilas County.  Besides, I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys pull 3 boards off each side of the boat.  I call, but the wardens are stretched too thin.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE