LOGIN
Lake-Link

Muskie Stripping and Records at Spirit Lake IA Fish Hatchery

5/22/14 @ 10:20 AM
ORIGINAL POST
WillCFish
WillCFish
User since 4/6/11
Without the good work these folks do we wouldn't have any Muskies or Walleye.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/10/14 @ 10:36 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01
Of course fish can live out of the water for more than 2 minutes. Is it a good idea to - no.

I remember once ice fishing and as we got all the tip ups set up a flag went up and we iced a pike. A few hours went by and we didn't get another flag so we pull the tip ups up, then pulling the tip up in which my buddy caught the pike and he says does anybody want this fish? and as he was saying it he kicks this pike into the hole, I said yes, and quickly tried to grab it and that pike took off like a freshly caught fish. I couldn't believe it.

Also remembering talking to a resort owner as he had a client come in with a 36 inch muskie in the bottom of his boat, pretty beat up and out of water for some time. He convinces the client to release the fish after tagging it. It ended up getting caught many years later at 43 inches and even went over/through a dam.

I think a lot has to do with two things about the video. 1) the water temps are cooler than they are in the summer period which yields more dissolved oxygen and 2) (this is the main one) the fish just got knocked out and didn't have to fight a line to be released. Think about that - could you hold your breath longer if you were rested or after you ran a 100 yd dash?

6/10/14 @ 2:14 PM
get the frabill
get the frabill
User since 3/23/12
very cool video. My only thought during the first scene was that that fish was out of the water for over 2 minutes (132 seconds). So either I am overly concerned with getting muskies back the water too quickly or that fish suffocated. It looked alive as he was pulling him off the bump board so I am just curious to what everyone thinks about this. Can a fish live out of water for 2 minutes + ? Regardless, the eggs from that one fish alone is enough to do alot of good for the sport and help to sustain many fisheries. Great job guys and keep up the good work.

GTF <*(((><

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.