Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

MN going to raise Musky to 54"s.

3/6/15 @ 6:34 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
Mn DNR will require all muskies to be thrown back unless over 54"s.

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/16/16 @ 2:39 PM
Wright6
User since 2/5/14

They did put some Leech lakers into Lake Wissota, Chippewa county.  Not sure how they have done.  It's been about 6 years ago now.  They were trying to see how they coexist with the pike which are getting to be a huge problem in the northwoods.  I would recommend trying to keep every pike you are allowed.

5/16/16 @ 11:17 AM
Max Rap
User since 12/29/12
First they need to quit stocking strains that do not reach trophy size especially in lakes that historically had trophy genetics.  The aquarium effect has proven false in Minnesota and it's time to start looking into other reasons why non leech lake strain growth rates are so low in Wisconsin .  No it's not the forage either. 

5/16/16 @ 7:31 AM
Wright6
User since 2/5/14

I think we need higher limits.  We need to keep the 40" fish that the tourist catches on a bluegill or a crappie in the lakes.  If they die so be it, but you just can't keep a fish for the sake of it may die.  That being said, I don't really think the size limit is as big of a problem as the spearing is.

4/11/16 @ 11:41 AM
jlkohl
User since 6/9/02
WI could no doubt add several lakes to the list of 50" (maybe even 54) that already exist. Boulder Junction "Muskie Capital of the World"...I think they need a more accurate slogan.

I need to update/comment on my statement re: Boulder. Don't get me wrong, I have a cabin up in the northland and have friends in the Boulder/St. Germain area and just love it up there and will continue to frequent the area. But......

4/11/16 @ 10:42 AM
fishingmaster1997
fishingmaster1997
User since 4/18/12
I personally think that you should be allowed 1 Muskie per season of any size, maybe a possible maximum size. Many if not most anglers practice 100% catch and release either way. But if a kid wants to get his first Muskie mounted I think he should be able to. I was lucky, I caught my first musky, a 39 incher, the last year that the minimum length was 34 inches in Wisconsin. Now I practice 100 catch and release of muskies. I don't think the issue is someone wanting a mount every now and then. The issue is the people who keep their 1 Muskie every day and single handedly destroy the fishery.

4/2/15 @ 9:45 AM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
54" is basically saying catch and release only since so very few fish will ever get that big regardless of how long they live.

People ask why to mount one when replicas are available? Because replicas are fake! I can spot one a mile away compared to a skin mount and the replica does not look as good.

3/31/15 @ 8:49 AM
reises
User since 3/26/15
Good for them!! I bet 95 percent of the Musky's are released any way. Fifty four inch musky, wow!! I want to catch one.

3/13/15 @ 4:02 PM
Nick Schumacher
Nick Schumacher
User since 1/10/05
Good for Minnesota. We've been behind them for decades here in Wisconsin. I understand that some lakes will improve with smaller fish being removed, but overall we need to promote more protections for bigger fish. Hell, we recently moved to the 40-inch minimum from 34-inch just a few years ago in 2012. That's absolutely ridiculous. One year prior in 2011, the gap between Minnesota and Wisconsin was 14 inches (48 minimum to 34). It's back at 14 inches now with the 54-40 difference. I still do my musky fishing in northern Wisconsin, but I understand why lots of musky anglers travel to Minnesota to make their trip(s).

3/9/15 @ 5:39 PM
mostlyfishing
User since 6/7/13
I would Love to see a 50" or 54" size limit on muskys here in wisconsin.

3/9/15 @ 8:48 AM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
Nice job MN!! Would like to see a 50" statewide here in WI. Or do a harvest tag program.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.