Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

HIGH SPEED VS POWER REELS

6/9/17 @ 1:19 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Musky99
User since 8/8/11

I was looking at HS reel for big bucktails, but the salesmen told me I need a power reel.

Why?

When do you use one  VS the other?

Currently only have older ABU reels, just looking to upgrade.

BTW these were both LEXA 400 reels.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/13/17 @ 1:24 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Lexa is a good reel.  I always found the best overall gear ratio for me is like a 5.2 to 1.  Little higher or lower and life is good.

That Tranx PG is the best bucktail reel out there.  Smooth, no fatigue bringing in blades.  You can reel it fast enough to blow any bucktail out of the water, so there is little need for an HG series.

The HG, though, picks up a ton of line.  I'm not a huge fan of the bulldog or big rubber baits, but guys who are swear by the HG because it picks up the line so quickly.  They are always "feeling" their baits.  Different bait, different retrieve, different reel.

So, that's my 2 cents.  If you want a good bucktail reel, pick one that is more of a power reel than a high speed reel.  I tried the Winch...too slow for me, but you will try some and find your sweet spot.

6/10/17 @ 10:38 PM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08
pretty well summed up by others. Do you need power or speed for those big buck tails? I have the lexa 400h for normal buck tails. Use a winch for the big blades. Winch is slllllooow, but can toss big blades all day, no fatigue. Lexa is a nice real though, you should be pleased with it. 

6/9/17 @ 6:49 PM
icebelt
User since 10/22/13

A good power reel is a Tranx at 4.6 to 1 for pulling double 10 's a high speed reel is for burning reg. bucks to get them on top and make a ruckus with the blade.

6/9/17 @ 3:06 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

If you are towing your boat with a manual transmission would you start out in 4th gear or in 1st?  

Big bladed bucktails create a ton of drag and are hard on gears. On the higher speed reels the teeth are thinner and not intended to drag something in as much as they are to pick up line. When put under the type of pressure that a big bucktail gives them, those thinner teeth can round off and bend over.  

So back to the initial question. You get a brand new truck to tow your boat. The truck has a manual transmission. How many miles will you get out of your transmission if you always start out towing your boat in 4th gear?  How does that compare to how many miles you'll get out of it if you start in 1st?  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.