Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Baitcaster side mounted spool release

6/13/14 @ 4:38 PM
ORIGNAL POST
fishingfool42
MEMBER since 6/17/02
Hi all, I'm a newbee to Musky fishing and was wondering how convenient or inconvenient it is to have the spool release on the top of the reel as opposed to having a thumb release. I have a Revo NaCl which I love and it has the thumb release. I recently purchased an Abu Garcia 7000Ic3 series real and didn't notice the top release until I got it home. Doesn't this make it a bit tricky to release the spool and thumb the spool at the same time? Looking for any and all input

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/19/14 @ 3:36 AM
rapture
User since 2/15/06
I use both and dont even think about it. The only real advantage i see is when you have a thumb bar, its easier to engage the spool with a figure 8 fish after you hook them. Since you can engage the spool and keep your thumb on the spool at the same time, it makes it a bit more fluid when fighting them on a short line.

6/18/14 @ 12:05 PM
AChotrod
User since 9/8/13
I have an older Abu 5000 and Ill never use it again after using my NACLS and Curados. I would return it and get a Lexa 300 if your looking for something a bit cheaper then the first two options. But how I used the 5000 was click it move my thumb to the spool then cast.

6/16/14 @ 12:11 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
Use them both and you'll get used to them. I have some of each type and for maybe the first few casts it was a bit "different" but after that you don't even think about it.

6/16/14 @ 8:30 AM
fishingfool42
MEMBER since 6/17/02
Any other opinions? Since I'll be using this reel exclusively for Musky fishing, would you recommend that I return it and get another reel with a thumb bar?

6/13/14 @ 7:44 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
Before I had my Revo's , I would reach over with my left hand and push the release. Thumb bars are awesome....When you get a fish boat side you can roll the spool back to relieve tension and push the release all at once with one hand. I don't use drags ,I free spool.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.