LOGIN
Lake-Link

102 lb Muskie

1/30/14 @ 6:29 AM
ORIGINAL POST
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
If you're ever in Trig's / Eagle River, they have one mounted on the stair case behind the cashiers. The little plaque says it was netted by the DNR. It was mounted by a shop in ST. Germaine. I'm thinking it had to be dead not to be released. Don't know how the store got it. You should see the girth on that thing. Didn't take a picture, but will remember to take one next time. Maybe someone who lives there will post a pic with the story behind it.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 28 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/11/14 @ 8:10 PM
KenK
User since 6/19/01
ditto to ditto! Big Smile

7/11/14 @ 7:11 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
One has to wonder how many groceries Trigs sold over the years due to their fake musky on the wall?

7/11/14 @ 6:12 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Was in Trig's the other day and remembered to take some pics of said Muskie.

7/9/14 @ 8:42 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Watch the Gillespie Show during the Viewer Photos section. Just a matter of time before a 22 pound bass is caught. Puke

7/8/14 @ 5:22 PM
AChotrod
User since 9/8/13
I would like to believe there could be a fish in that size range. The great lakes are a pretty big place and can support a fish of that size easily. With that said Ive never seen any real proof of one. Only time will tell. The way I see it is if there is a 22lb LMB there def could be a 100lb ski. Its chasing after the dream that makes muskie fishing as fun as it is to me.

7/8/14 @ 8:32 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Nick,

You got it. I'm 6 feet tall. And when I stretch out my arms, that fish is just a little longer. I'm not at all certain on the girth, but let me assure you that it is a very deep mount.

Totally reasonable to question the validity of the mount/fish.

And whatever Ramsell is selling, I'm not really buying. He has a very difficult and I believe self-appointed task of trying to determine a true world record. But his style just isn't for me. Immediate apologies if his position wasn't self-appointed.

Personally I've seen a musky on a lake up north that was longer than the width of the boat I was fishing in. I was fishing in a Lakeland 1672 boat. 16 feet long. 72 inches wide. My buddy had the fish follow and it went under the boat slowly. I saw head on one side of the boat, tail on the other. And granted, it was at the front of the boat where I don't think the boat was 72 inches wide. But she was a big one. A really, really big one.

Later that year, my dad and I saw the same fish on a different spot. Dad casted to what he thought was an old telephone pole in the water. The "pole" moved and followed his little bucktail for about 6 feet. Freaked my dad out.

Now those sightings occurred over 20 years ago. Fish is long dead. But I'm a believer that there are lakes capable of pushing out a true super lunker.

7/7/14 @ 5:37 PM
Nick Schumacher
Nick Schumacher
User since 1/10/05
Vegas492,

I'm 6'1" and have a wingspan of roughly 74-75 inches (I just had someone measure my wingspan after reading your post). So, this musky at Trig's, which I haven't seen yet, is a 70-72 inch fish perhaps? That's a real whopper. I've seen current photos of musky in the 57-58 inch class, but that's really about it. I saw the elegit 64-incher caught on Green Bay near the river mouth out of season. Ramsell says that the largest verified musky ever recorded was 68 inches long. There are various stories of fish being longer than this, too. Of course there are the Louie Spray and Cal Johnson photos of fish of the 63-inch class, but those are so damn heavily disputed, especially the Spray fish, which most people deem as a complete load of BS.

I know the fish you're talking about at Leif's Café in Eagle River. There's also a Gelb fish at Log Cabin in Conover. Another 50+ pounder I believe. Another monster. I don't remember the girth of either of those fish, but I would assume it was 28-31 inches.

Using various weight calculators, I plugged in a fish with dimensions of 72x30. I used the following websites: outdoorsfirst.com, one-vertex.com, and huntfishsport.com. Various websites I found provided weight estimates through the use of three formulas:

86.33 pounds (Casselman/Crossman Formula) 81 pounds (standard formula) 77 pounds (Ramsell/Wilkinsin formula)

When I tried plugging in larger numbers for the length, such as 73x30 or 74x30, I got the response "Please use valid data" and it wouldn't compute an estimate. I laughed. It wouldn't let me calculate weights if I went over 72 inches in length. When I plugged in larger girth measures, it started to give weights again. For a musky that's 72 inches in length, I had to plug in a girth measurement of 34 inches to crack the 100-pound mark, regardless of formula. A 33-inch girth came really close, too.

ANYWAYS...

7/7/14 @ 1:19 PM
Badgerloader
User since 4/10/11
I heard that it was caught on an 11 pound sucker.

7/7/14 @ 1:05 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Nick,

To visualize it, find a 6 foot person. Ask them to hold their arms out horizontal to the ground.

Then step away. The 102 pound musky at Trigs is at least that long.

That'll get you the length.

For the girth, go into Leif's Cafe on Highway 45 going north out of town. Look at Gelb's 53 pound fish. Then apply that girth to a fish that is around 20 inches larger.

It is a tank.

I remember reading the article about how that fish came to be. Surely could have been a hoax, also could have easily as been real.

7/5/14 @ 1:14 PM
Nick Schumacher
Nick Schumacher
User since 1/10/05
There's a bait/tackle shop on County Road E near Phelps and Land O Lakes that has multiple mounts of giant tiger muskies, including John Knobla's world record. I think the shop owner has three of the top four tigers ever caught, or at least replicas of them. That shop also has a mount of a 60-63 pound silver/clear musky that was found dead on Lac Vieux Desert, apparently hit by someone's prop. That fish is a real giant and is awesome to look at. I can visualize a 70-80 pounder, but man, what the hell would a 100+ pounder even look like? I forget the name of the shop by the way.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 28 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.